Author Topic: Mr G? H Forbes - Canada  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mr G? H Forbes - Canada
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 June 17 16:29 BST (UK) »

Hi,

This could be George going to Canada in 1910,

Date of Arrival:  27 Jun 1910
Port of Arrival:  Quebec, Canada
Vessel:  Dominion
George FORBES

This would match the year or immigration that he gives in the 1911 Canadian census, transcribed as George FORLES at Ancestry,

Province:  Manitoba
District:  MacDonald
Alexander Ave 1769

George FORBES   
Head   
Married   
DOB: Aug 1887   
POB: England
Immigration year:  1910   

Ethel FORBES
Wife
DOB: Mar 1889   
POB: England
Immigration year:  1911

They are sharing a house with  transcribed as Christian and Annie HOADLEY and their daughter Edna, but I can't be sure the name Christian or HOADLEY look like that on the image :-\

The article in "The Edmonton Capital, 02 August 1913" found by bbart says that D H FORBES was a painter, this could be his return to England with his son Ernest,

Port of Departure:  Quebec, Canada
Arrival Date:  11 Sep 1913
Port of Arrival:  Liverpool, England
Ship Name:  Empress of Britain

George FORBES    Painter    26   
Ernest        "            Infant     11/12

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sng165

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 June 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
This Ernest is born in 1891 so it may be his Uncle

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
sng165, my search went to the same Ernest you saw, but digging a bit deeper, Daisy did miraculously find them, as Anc did not index their last name.

Try to navigate to
UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Liverpool, England
Sep
image 323 of 416

I only found it by searching George, keyword painter, with the ship arrival date and port.

Offline sng165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 June 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thats brilliant - I've tied them up - I know what happened to Ernest back in the UK, I just need to track George. Thanks everyone  :D

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 June 17 15:25 BST (UK) »

I'm sorry that I hadn't said the surname wasn't indexed. I wrote the details down, then forgot to mention that when I typed the reply.  :-[

I was lucky searching for it, I looked for Ernest born 1912, and he came up top of the list :o  :)

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline sng165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mr G? H Forbes - Canada / UK
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 June 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
I am looking into the possibility George may have remarried (Phyllis Hall?) in June 15 following his return to UK?
I cant find any War / Service records for him - Guessing he may have been excused?

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 June 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
I think it might be a happy accident that we saw the adult Ernest on the same ship, as George did have a brother Ernest.  The newspaper accounts lead one to believe that George was quite severely burned, probably his hands in trying to put the fire on his wife out. Makes sense a family member would come out and help until he was well enough to travel.

Offline Linbes5778

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 00:13 BST (UK) »
This is for anyone still interested, George Henry Forbes (b:1888) from Rochdale, Lancashire, England, the son of James & Mary Elizabeth Forbes nee Jackson, on his Marriage Certificated to his 2nd wife Phyllis Jennie Hall (m:June 25 1915) had him as a Widower, we were told his first wife (unknown) died in a fire, their had a son possibly name Alan or Allan, and he went to Canada with his fiancée don't know any other details, but I would like to find out more.

Offline sng165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alan Forbes - Canada
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya
When George returned from Canada after death of his 1st wife Ethel (nee Stott) in the fire, with Ernest Harold (b1912), & married Phyllis, I have details of sons Roland James (b1916) & Frederick G (b1930)
Frederick has a son Alan G Forbes (b1961) who may have gone to Canada????;
OR with a gap in birth dates like that it's possible there are more siblings between Roland & Frederick -including an Alan ?? If you have access to Ancestry check out my Forbes tree https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/112346215/family?cfpid=252117510940
After George Forbes died in 1932, Phyllis married John Tyson in 1935, they had a child, John in Dec 1935.