Author Topic: Getting Started - children's home in Leith, Edinburgh  (Read 1444 times)

Offline birdwatch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Getting Started - children's home in Leith, Edinburgh
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I have tried to find a way of posting a request regarding a children's home in Leith, Edinburgh which was around sometime in the early 1920s.  I know it's no longer there but now demolished with a housing development on the original site but I think  the l stone wall which surrounded the home is still visible.  My mum was there during her childhood and I am visiting Scotland and would dearly love to see at least the wall she spoke about.  I have no idea how to post this so if someone could help I would be really grateful
Many thanks

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

I believe Edinburgh is in Midlothian,so probably best to post on their look up board incase anyone has any local knowledge that may help.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/midlothian/

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:11 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started - children's home in Leith, Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 June 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Birdwatch, I have just moved your post to the midlothian section.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat from me too.

The link that KGarrad posted could be a possibility but it closed on 20th October 1922.

You could try the Leith Local History Society at   www.leithlocalhistorysociety.org.uk

If you need any help with this please let me know as I live near Leith.

When are you visiting Scotland ?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
I think that there was a childrens home near to where the zoo is now but on the other side of the road. my nsn was taken there by george steeles brother tom, because george said janet ) was an unfit mother and incapable of looking after, her but his family were not prepared to take her in,with their daimlerlong legged cotton bloomers and silk ribbons, my nan was one of those children destined to be sent abroad, but she did not like that idea, so she ran away, sh was  found by the police who asked her where she was heading, she told him to my grans address, so he took her there, her gran took her to the railway station and put her on a train for edinburgh, must contacted janet to let her knowId kued to have lidtened in to that conversation my nan did not like gran very much she ws strict and made my nan go to church regularly and ewatch the range mrches as well, dont know if she was catholic my nan was scottish presbyterian, and her mother along with this new man in her life met my nan and took her home to their house where they were living
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet