Author Topic: Brothers in Arms  (Read 279 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Brothers in Arms
« on: Thursday 08 June 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
While doing some searching on Trove (Australian Newspaper Site), I came across an article about my great-uncle..part of which states:

"Mr Ryan is a native of Ireland, and with 11 of his 12 brothers, he served in the Great War" (Warwick Daily News, Queensland: Tuesday, 4th February 1936)

Himself and two brothers fought in the Australian Imperial Force & another with the Royal Irish Regiment. I know my great grandfather served as a gunner but haven't found a record just yet. So that's five brothers who fought & came home!

Now, I have the names of 10 brothers, so I'm hunting for two more - whoever said this was going to be easy  ;D
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut