Author Topic: Court Martial  (Read 693 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court Martial
« on: Friday 09 June 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
A soldier of the 11th Regt Devonshire Guards on the 5th July, 1846 was court-martialled for a crime  "25 Reg 546".  The court martial could have taken place at Hobart, Norfolk Island or Sydney.  He was demoted to private, his liquor was forfeited and his pay reduced by 1d per Diem.  He was not imprisoned. 

Is somebody able to help me please find out what crime "25 Reg 546" refers to?   Is it possible to locate court martial records? 

J

Offline emilypos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Court Martial
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 17 08:20 BST (UK) »

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/index.htm
  might help. Check   in TAS newspapers too

Bye

Emilypos

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Something I discovered along the way:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=G9mgAAAAMAAJ&ots=chWAvLYNBM&dq=inauthor%3A%22Great%20Britain.%20War%20Office%22&pg=PR3#v=onepage&q&f=false

1844 Book of Regulations for British Army Regiments.  It may be of interest to others as well.  It didn't seem to answer my question but provided other useful information. 

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 June 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
P.S.  I have printed out much of the information from emilypos' post already.  It doesn't quite go far enough for what I am after but it is excellent material.  I'll re-visit it in case it has been updated. 

Can I recommend "Following the Drum" which is a book about army wives and children. 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Rootschat has a board for military questions so it might be worth asking there.  I would have thought that it's possible that the Regulations would be the same here and in UK at that time.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 June 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I agree that the regulations are probably the same after having had a look at the 1844 regulations (dated two years prior to the events in which I am interested in VDL and Norfolk Island.  I will have a look at the thread.  Thank you judb.