Author Topic: JOHN HOOKE WEST - HAVE I FINALLY FOUND HIS BIRTH?  (Read 982 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
JOHN HOOKE WEST - HAVE I FINALLY FOUND HIS BIRTH?
« on: Friday 09 June 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my ancestor John Hook(e) WEST of Taunton, Somerset, for many years now. I have his marriage, children, death, Will, but his birth has always elluded me............until now?

I found this birth/baptism on Ancestry last night, and am wondering if it is my John? It indicates John Hook b.17/6/1777 and bapt 27/6/1777 to John WEIT and Ann FOSSEY. Ancestry had 2 entries for this baptism, one was just text and indexed as WEIT, while the other was the original record indexed under WEST. Family Search also has it indexed under WEST, however, the original does appear to read WEIT. I've found a relevant marriage index for John WEST and Ann FOSSEY in Sidmouth in 1775.

Although my John Hooke WEST (mostly spelt Hooke but sometimes Hook), married/lived in Taunton, Somerset, he actually died and was buried in Sidmouth, aged 45 i.e. b.abt.1776, which fits in with the birth of 1777 on the Sidmouth record.

Do you think I have enough "circumstantial evidence" for this baptism record to be for my John Hooke WEST?
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN HOOKE WEST - HAVE I FINALLY FOUND HIS BIRTH?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would say that is him.

Maybe it does say West, and the dot that appears to be over an "I" was just a mark or slip of the pen.
Or maybe the vicar wrote up the register at a later date and misread his initial notes as Weit not West.
With the added evidence of the West/Fossey marriage I would say you have the right baptism and the name is West.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Lizdb,

Think it is not an 'i', looking at the end of the capital W you can see where the flourish ends in a dot made by the quill.

Think you have your man, backed by other evidence that fits.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Congratulations you've got him ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
Also, if you look at the word "parish", it too has a skinny, poorly-formed s at the end.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to ALL for your encouraging replies. I've just found some more encouragement having now located his original 1805 Marriage Record, and the surname WEST looks very similarly written as his Baptism Record was written some 28 years earlier  ;)

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!