Author Topic: Dorrell  (Read 1607 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dorrell
« on: Friday 09 June 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a christening or the ancestry of Rebecca Dorrell.

Rebecca married Thomas Hilton in Bishopsbourne on 30 Oct 1653. They had a daughter named Mary who died in February 1657, as did Thomas. After Thomas's death Rebecca married John Marten/Martin of Selling at Canterbury on 3 May 1659. Their daughter Mary Martin married John Bing in 1681.

John Marten was born in November 1628 and given that Rebecca was married twice and had (at least) one child by each husband I estimate she was born in the 1620s or 30s. However so far I haven't been able to trace her.

If anyone can help me trace her or any other Dorrells who might be connected it would be good to know. Also if anyone knows of any other children born to Thomas Hilton and Rebecca or to Rebecca and John it would again be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorrell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 17 16:02 BST (UK) »
If you have access to ancestry.co.uk click on the search tab and select card index, you can then type in Kent Tyler index. This will bring up,a search page where if you enter the surnames you are looking for will bring up some possible connections.
Hope this helps.
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
If you have access to ancestry.co.uk click on the search tab and select card index, you can then type in Kent Tyler index. This will bring up,a search page where if you enter the surnames you are looking for will bring up some possible connections.
Hope this helps.
Panda

Hiya

I don't have access to Ancestry myself at home but I do use it a lot at the library and often use the Tyler Indexes (to Parish Registered and to Wills). I haven't looked on there for Rebecca yet so I will have a look next time I use it.

Thanks for the idea.

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 June 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
There is the following baptism at Chartham,

1622 Feb 10 Rebecca Dorrell d/o William.

Her marriage did not take place at Bishopsbourne but at Thanington, the detail as follows,

1653 Oct 30 Thomas Hilton of Milton to Rebecca Dorrell of Thanington.

Milton in this case refers to the Chapelry between Chartham and Thanington.

Maybe of some use.

Tony ???

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 17 20:43 BST (UK) »
A possible marriage for William Dorrell, at Petham,

1609 Oct 9 William Dorrell to Rebecca Berry.

There appear to be four siblings of Rebecca, also baptised at Chartham, of William Dorrell,
Sarah 1612 Mar 14
Thomas 1615 June 4
Elizabeth 1617 Sept 14
Joane 1619 Nov 14

More food for thought,
Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
A possible marriage for William Dorrell, at Petham,

1609 Oct 9 William Dorrell to Rebecca Berry.

There appear to be four siblings of Rebecca, also baptised at Chartham, of William Dorrell,
Sarah 1612 Mar 14
Thomas 1615 June 4
Elizabeth 1617 Sept 14
Joane 1619 Nov 14

More food for thought,
Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for those. I have the marriage location down as Bishopsbourne, but this is info I got from Familysearch [and Ancestry I think] a few years ago and I may have written it down wrong. This new info will give me something to go on though.

The marriage of Thomas Hilton and Rebecca Dorrell is recorded on Familysearch as follows:

Name:Thomas Hilton
Spouse's Name Rebecca Dorrell
Event Date 30 Oct 1653
Event Place Bishopsbourne, Kent, England

Thomas was then apparently buried in 1657:

Name: Thomas Hilton
Burial Date: 03 Feb 1657
Burial Place: Bishopsbourne, Kent, England

However that hasn't led me to any new info about Rebecca. As you can see the date of marriage is the same in this and in what you've quoted, with only the place being different.

Where did the info you've quoted come from? Was this from PRs or from transcripts? It certainly looks more promising than what I've had so far.  Hopefully with this new info I can find some more details on them in the Chartham area.

Many thanks again

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 June 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

You probably did not copy it (from Ancestry) incorrectly.  There is a fairly widespread problem with Family Search, over duplicate entries etc., with Parishes on the same film. see,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752997.msg6024332#msg6024332

Thanington was used a lot for marriages, during the Commonwealth Period and because, so many marriages were between external parishioners more information can usually be found.

The information on Rebecca Dorrell and Thomas Hilton was my transcription from the original register as seen.

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 June 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

You probably did not copy it (from Ancestry) incorrectly.  There is a fairly widespread problem with Family Search, over duplicate entries etc., with Parishes on the same film. see,

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752997.msg6024332#msg6024332

Thanington was used a lot for marriages, during the Commonwealth Period and because, so many marriages were between external parishioners more information can usually be found.

The information on Rebecca Dorrell and Thomas Hilton was my transcription from the original register as seen.

Tony

Hiya

Thanks for that update. As I previously mentioned I obtained these details a few years back and to be honest I haven't had time to double check them with the original records. I have quite a few Kent ancestors and unfortunately when I visited the Canterbury Cathedral Archives earlier this year the Dorrells were not on my research list lol.

I haven't seen a marriage on Familysearch for them in Thannington myself. Does this mean that the entry on Familysearch was entered incorrectly and should read "Thannington" rather than Bishopsbourne?

As your info is from the original registers I'll update my records with the new info as that seems more likely.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have record of Thomas and Rebecca having a daughter named Marie christened in Bishopsbourne in February 1657 and Thomas being buried in Bishopsbourne in the same month. I was just wondering if those details were incorrect? Was Marie christened in (or near) Thannington and did Thomas die there? Do you know if they had any other children between 1653 and 1657?

Many thanks for the help. :)

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
Marie Hilton buried 13 Feb 1657 Bishopsbourne, Kent, England, daughter of Thomas Hilton & Rebecca.

MARY baptised 10 Oct 1654 Thanington, St Nicholas, daughter of Thomas & Rebecca Hilton
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk