Author Topic: brick wall - Robert Milligan  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: brick wall - Robert Milligan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 June 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
1861 Census - 43 Warroch Street, Glasgow

Mary Milligan   Marr.   40     born Ireland
Margaret Milligan  17
Mary Milligan 11
Robert Milligan 9
Agnes Milligan 4
William Milligan 1mo
Elizabeth Martin widow 70   mother in law   born Ireland

When Agnes born Robert was the informant and he was then a Shoemaker!
Don't know where dau. Elizabeth was in 1861 but her birth in 1855 reveals:

Robert and Mary married Dec.1840 Pollokshaws, Lanarkshire (cannot find it online)
Certificate states that Robert was then aged 30 and was a Lamplighter!  Elizabeth was their 8th child, 3 boys dead, 1 boy and 4 girls living.   Also shows both Robert and Mary were from Co. Monaghan, Ireland.

The birth of the youngest boy on census - William 1mo - does not appear to have been registered but 1861 census shows Mary as married - so timeline for Robert's death would be 1861 to 1865.   However, I've only viewed a transcript of census so can't confirm if 'Marr.' was indeed her status - you'd have to view the original on Scotlands People for that.

So, Robert's age of 30 in 1855 would appear to be incorrect in that he'd have been 15 when married in 1840 which I doubt.  Probably around same age as Mary bc.1821 - he seems to have run the gamut of occupations - lamplighter in 1855, Shoemaker in 1857, Stoker on Steamboat between 1857 and Mary's death 1865 - if she was indeed shown as married in 1861 (and not already a widow) then, as stated above, his death would be between 1861 to 1865.

Plus, we also have Robert's mother Elizabeth Martin bc.1790 Ireland with Mary and her children in 1861.   Presumably she must have remarried at some point with surname of Martin.

Have not found family on census before 1861 I'm afraid.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline billthebaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 June 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
fantastic Annette really helpful. Thank you.

So Robert died between 1861-65 me thinks outside Scotland BUT WILL TRY AND NARROW DOWN IN sCOTLAND.

Offline billthebaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 June 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
got them in 1851 under MULLIGAN

Address: 60 Piccadilly Street

Surname       First name(s)       Rel       Status       Sex       Age       Occupation       Where Born       Remarks   
        MULLIGAN       Robert       Head       M       M       35       Lamplighter        Ireland - -           
        MULLIGAN       Mary       Wife       M       F       28       House Wife        Ireland - -           
        MULLIGAN       Margt. Jane       Dau       U       F       7       Scholar        Lanarkshire - Govan           
        MULLIGAN       Mary       Dau       U       F       1       At Home        Lanarkshire - Barony       

Offline billthebaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 June 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
FOUND THE MARRIAGE IN 1840

MULLIGAN
ROBERT
MARY MACK/FR1208 (FR1208)
28/11/1840
562/