Author Topic: is this my great grandmother Mary Bellis?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
is this my great grandmother Mary Bellis?
« on: Friday 09 June 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have a photograph which was given to me by my mother, it was with a box of photographs which belonged to her father (by grandfather) and I wonder if anyone can help me date it please, I believe it could be my grandfather's mother, my GGrandmother Mary.

The photo is in poor condition, it is creased but even worse someone (I suspect my mother as a child!) has scribbled on it with a pencil.  There may be a sad explanation for this, my great grandmother committed suicide by hanging and was found by my grandfather (her son) who was distraught and refused to talk about her, my mother remembers seeing the photo as a child but has conveniently no recollection of whom may have committed this act of vandalism!

My g Grandmother was 54 when she died, in Newcastle upon Tyne they were living in the terraced houses of Newcastle upon Tyne at the time of her death, I know this area well even though the street they were living in has long been demolished, I don't think this photo was taken in Newcastle

However prior to the move to Newcastle they lived in Durham, Belmont to be precise, the house has more of a feel of a rural type of pit cottage but I am very open to opinions and suggestions

I am hoping that someone may be able to date the photo approximately by the clothing, I have one other clue, a photo of her brother Samuel - I think there is a resemblance I am very keen to get other opinions, there is no one left in my family to add any more information sadly.

Elaine
Harle Reed Norwood Dixon Heseltine

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: is this my great grandmother Mary Bellis?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 June 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
HI Elaine...It looks like it is a postcard photo...could you post the back please as it holds clues to the date. It looks like it could be taken around the time of WW1 but not sure.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 June 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Carol, at least WW1 & more probably post war & into the early 20's.
This lady looks well into her 60's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 June 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
One from me....

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
oh that is fabulous!  I didn't dare attempt to rub out the pencil marks of course but you have done a great job thank you!

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
HI Elaine...It looks like it is a postcard photo...could you post the back please as it holds clues to the date. It looks like it could be taken around the time of WW1 but not sure.
Carol

Carol,  it is a postcard and here is the back of it, it doesn't give any clues and is annoyingly also covered with pencil scribbles! it doesn't appear to have been sent through the postal system

Offline dafydd46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 June 17 20:11 BST (UK) »
Very quick clean-up and attempted to minimize the damage and the artistic additions.
dafydd46.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 June 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Carol

Carol,  it is a postcard and here is the back of it, it doesn't give any clues and is annoyingly also covered with pencil scribbles! it doesn't appear to have been sent through the postal system

With absence of a stamp the only clue available is the divided back which was introduced in the UK in 1902 but this is later as suggested. I think there is a likeness between the two people.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 June 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
With some colour.....