Author Topic: Surname Bloyd  (Read 705 times)

Offline paulausa00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname Bloyd
« on: Saturday 10 June 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
Has anyone run across the Surname Bloyd in their research?  There is a partial letter stating that William Bloyd came from Scotland born about 1755, married a Barsheba Lord.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Bloyd
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 17 08:22 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Bloyd
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has a handy search box on the home page where you just put in whatever name is of interest and it tells you how many references it has to that (spelling of) that name.

It has 2 Bloyds in the census and one in the church registers.

The 2 in the census are Alfred Bloyd, 40 and Jenny Bloyd, 35, in Edinburgh in 1911. The one in the church records is the marriage of Allexander Bloyd to Elizabeth Smith in Edinburgh in 1762.

The IGI at www.familysearch.org equates the surname Bloyd with Blot, Bluth, Blayt, Blaitte, Bleatt, and Blyatt. It has 14 results in Scotland, 12 in Wales and 1527 in England.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl has about 70 listings of Bloyd, not including an Alfred.

A search for Bloyds on a commercial web site produces 134 results for 'exact spelling' and 1147 for 'phonetic spelling' in all England and Wales censuses.  Phonetic spellings include Blyde (959), Blayde (9), Blayd (15), Blyd (19), and presumably others that I have failed to find (they are not presented alphabetically, or indeed in any sort of logical order that I can discern).

I could probably spend all day raking though various sites looking for references to Bloyds, but it does look as if it is a mainly English surname.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.