Author Topic: Thankyou MonicaL  (Read 987 times)

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thankyou MonicaL
« on: Saturday 10 June 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to say thank you for mentioning witnesses in a recent answer to question.

My grandmother's family (she died 1933 at 27) is a complete unknown and I have been slowly finding information.  The only sibling that I found easily was on the 1911 census, he died in WW2, without issue.  However due to the genealogists tenacity and determination I am filling out the tree - though I am yet to find a living relative.

Today - I think I found another great Uncle.  A witness!  I was looking information I had and I checked the witnesses of a marriage of a great uncle and then of his second marriage - only recently discovered.  In the first cert - just down as an A Fraser - However the second marriage has a name and a middle initial - Bingo - born in 1920 - middle name also a family name .

Just have to bide my time to the find out if fact.  I may take a trip to the City sooner than I was planning!  If he is indeed another sibling of my grandmother that will make 8 with room for one more  between the last known and this new addition!  A long slow process - just piecing all the bits of evidence together. Only 2 mentioned in the 1911 census.   

So thank you MonicaL for making me look at the witnesses again! 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Thankyou MonicaL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
That is great news! Great to see you have made some likely headway  ;)

Have you tried searching for possible deaths of siblings to your grandmother? This should be included on the index search on SP from 1974. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-guides/statutory-register-deaths

Mother’s maiden surname - this wasn't included in the statutory index of deaths until 1974. The information is being added retrospectively starting with the early years although you may find it in some later entries as a result of individual record updates. If you enter a name in this field and the information hasn't been included in the index the record will not be found.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thankyou MonicaL
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Doing the above certainly cuts down the pages of options.  The common names does mean there are still lots of possibilities but much more manageable.

The siblings that survived until 1974, I know that 4 died  early and one emigrated, are listed there along with the newly found 'probable'.  Given this new info he has been upgraded  from probable to almost certainly- and already been added to my tree. ;D ;D  I will confirm on next visit to the Archives.

Hopefully finding a next generation ......

I wish I noticed this function earlier - thank you once again.