Author Topic: rev Fr. DJ Kelly Catholic Priest 1884  (Read 684 times)

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
rev Fr. DJ Kelly Catholic Priest 1884
« on: Saturday 10 June 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
I am seeking the emigration record of A Catholic Priest Rev DJ Kelly. I know that he was ordained a priest in Carlow Ireland in 1884. He went to Sioux city Iowa to minister in the same year (1884).

I found record of him returning to Ireland and again re-entering New York October 1895. I would love to find his passanger record on travelling to Sioux City in 1884. Not certain what port he may have entered but he would have departed Queenstown or Londonderry port. I give mention to Londonderry also as his family were from Donegal (few miles from Londonderry) therefore he may have paid a visit home before he departed for Sioux City. Any leads please. Thank you.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: rev Fr. DJ Kelly Catholic Priest 1884
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
I found the following notice of probate and in looking for him, I found that he served in several smaller parishes in Webster County, Iowa.  I was hoping to find an obituary or some other notice of his travels, but I haven't found any.

Times-Republican
Marshalltown, Iowa
9 Nov 1911

PROBATE FATHER KELLY'S WILL.
Leaves Money to Brothers and Sister In Ireland.

Fort Dodge, Nov. 9—The will of the late Rev. D. J. Kelly was probated yesterday in district court. Rev. Father P. J. O'Connor, chancellor of the Sioux City dioceses of tho Catholic church, was made administrator. The following bequests were made:
To his brother, Bernard Kelly, of Ireland. $2,000.
To his sister, Mary Kelly, in Ireland, $2,000.
To his brother, Owen Kelly, in Ireland. $500.
To his brother, Cornelius Kelly, in New Jersey, $100.
To Mary McGough. Duncombe, $400.  (she is his housekeeper in the 1910 census)
The Rev. P. J. O'Connor. Sioux City, for saying masses for the repose of the souls of his father and mother, $500. To Rev. O'Connor for saying masses for the repose of Father Kelly's soul. $500.

findagrave memorial in Fort Dodge, Webster, Iowa:

https://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Kelly&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=14&GScnty=640&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=17041253&df=all&