Author Topic: 6 Mobile Field Photographic Unit  (Read 1128 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
6 Mobile Field Photographic Unit
« on: Saturday 10 June 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone who may have info on 6 Mobile Field Photographic Unit of the RCAF.  I know they left England 29 Jun 1944 for France and arrived on 30 June 1944.  They moved through France into Germany supporting RAF/RCAF squadrons.  Specifically 39Wing

6MFPS and sister unit 5MFPS were involved in liberation efforts at Bergen Belsen concentration camp.  As they were photographers, I expect there should be many images but so far we have only found a few related directly to 6MFPS or 5MFPS.  I know there were many images taken by British Army as they arrived at camp early and were the liberators in April 1945.

5MFPS and 6MFPS were there in May/June according to some info so possibly after the worst was managed by other units.  Others have placed them (5 and/or 6) at the camp soon after Liberation ( 3-4 May) with their CO Flight Lieutenant Allan Ironside.  We have seen it written that Ironside and a few others sent images home and that some of the images taken were used in war crimes trials.

Daily operating records of 5MFPS and 6MFPS have yielded limited information other than confirming both units went in assistance of liberation.

Beyond their work at Bergen Belsen one would expect many photographs of daily life while in UK and while moving forward after D-Day.

My Dad was with 6MFPS and never spoke of his service in Germany beyond a few funny stories. 

The attached image of a new years party came from a member of his unit, location unknown. My dad is the corporal on the left holding glass.  From his “airman’s Record Sheet” we know he was reclassified  as LAC 1-1-43 and promoted Cpl 22-2-44.  Not sure when the stripes would have appeared on the uniform.  There is also Harold Vandervoort in the back row, 3rd from left.  He was from Powell River, BC.  Perhaps something in the photos will  allow someone to add info.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline rhubarbrebbie22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Mobile Field Photographic Unit
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I have a group of photos relating to 6 mobile field photographic section of 39 recce wing rcaf taken in England prior to taking part in d day and Normandy landings.