Author Topic: Susan Dalling & William Bale  (Read 6552 times)

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan Dalling & William Bale
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching my husband's family tree and these 2 have been a sticking point for me. All I know is that Susan was born around 1801 and died in December 1849 in Atherton in Devon and William was born about 1808 somewhere in Devon. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.  :)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Dalling & William Bale
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
A couple of maybe's...

Susanna Dalling, baptised 27 Jan 1793, Landkey, Devon.  father William.  mother Mary.

William Edward Bale, baptised 16 Nov 1800, Exeter, Devon.   father Thomas.  mother Margaret.

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
Same names but different dates - I have William Bale of Pilton married Susan Dallyn 26 Dec 1818 at Barnstaple Parish Church and they both signed the register. E Jones Wm Dallyn and John Kingsland were the witnesses.  Susan was baptised in Landkey 27 Jan 1793 and was buried 11 Sep 1825 at Pilton. Susan and William had three children - Mary Ann Dalling BALE, Susan BALE and William Dallyn BALE , my great great grandfather. William Bale was a carpenter, joiner and bellhanger.
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
A William BALE of Pilton married Susan DALLYN of Barnstaple on 26 Dec 1818 at Barnstaple so it is impossible for William to have been born in 1808. The 1849 burial for Susan at Atherington gave her age as 50, so born ca 1799.
A William BALE married Susanna BROWN at Atherington 26 Mar 1828 with an Edward BROWN as witness - I think this is more likely for your couple. Both were said to be of the parish. A William BALE's burial at Atherington 21 Aug 1880 stated that he was 76 living in Chittlehampton and a William BALE was baptised at West Down, son of William & Mary on 3 March 1805. A Susanna BROWN was baptised at Atherington February 1801 dau of Edward & Grace.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for the information, I've only started my husbands tree recently and am working from a less than informative partially done, hand written tree done by a family member some years ago. It is definitely Susan dalling or I guess Dallyn who I am after. William Dalling Bale is my husband's 4th great grandfather. I did think the spelling might be off and the dates of birth. Thanks so much for the info  :)

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Erinb

Great to make contact with someone researching William Dallyn BALE -  I am descended from his daughter Ellen Rebecca BALE who married Thomas William DALLY  in 1879 - their daughter Beatrice Ellen DALLY was my grandmother. Who does your husband descend from?

Dalling/Dallyn seem to be interchangeable - baptism is Dalling; father's will is Dallyn and I have a photograph with "Wm Dallyn Bale", headstone at Boroondara Cemetery Kew is Dalling, Will is Dalling. . . . regards from Beth

Offline erinb1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth

My husband is descended from Emma Ocean Bale who married Thomas Stokes, their daughter Clara Ivy Stokes was his 2nd great grandmother. Yes it seems some of the family used Dalling and some Dallyn, you have to love it when that happens  ;D

Erin

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 June 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin
Good to know where you fit in on the family tree. Do you have a Victorian Birth Certificate for Emma Oceane Bale - if not let me know and I can send it to you. Cheers from Beth

Offline mickwebb1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 November 18 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Erin and Beth,

Hoping you may be able to help me. In my family tree I have a Charles BALE, b.28 Aug 1872 in NSW, mother is Ellen BALE aged 18 and born Sommersetshire, England, no father shown.

I havent been able to find any marriage or death references in NSW for Ellen but did find a reference to a William and Ellen BALE arriving in NSW in 1853 with their son, William (aged 2) and Ellen (born on the voyage), aboard the ship Bussorah Merchant.

Information on the immigration list show that William BALE is the son of William and Susan BALE. My question is do you have any reference to Ellen Martha (nee BALE) DALLY residing in NSW (Parramatta) and having a son named Charles?