Author Topic: Cloudsly of Angus and Kincardineshire, Scotland and potentially England  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cloudsly, Cloudslay, Cloudslie, Clowdsly and other variants.

My 5x great-grandmother is Mary Cloudsly b. abt 1790, Farnell, Angus, her father is Andrew Cloudsly, mother is Ann Air. Andrew and Ann have another child recorded named Giles Cloudsly b.1785 Farnell. Giles is a particularly non-Scots name I think. I have no further information about Andrew and Ann. Mary married a James Evans, Farnell 1819.

Cloudsly is an extremely rare name particularly in Scotland. I believe one family of Cloudslys arrive in Montrose, Scotland from probably England around 1600. They are believed to have been involved in imports and exports (info from another website based on someone else's theories and records researched) which makes sense since they appear to arrived in a port town and remained there. There is a Cloudsly in Montrose in the 1841 census whom was born in England.

It is thought that the Scottish Cloudslys are all connected to each other. There appear to be 3 Cloudsly men having children in Scotland from approx 1635 - 1650. Descendants begin to appear in various parishes in Angus and Kincardineshire as time goes on in areas such as; Farnell, Maryton, Dun, Craig, Garvock, Ferry port on Craig (modern day Tayport, Fife), Dundee, Prestonpans and Glasgow.

Various searches indicate that the English Cloudslys are mostly concentrated in the following areas; Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire, London, Leicestershire, Lancashire (particularly Chorley), Middlesex and Essex.

Looking for anyone else who has some knowledge about this name. It is extremely rare and can't seem to find anyone else researching them aside from one external website created by a gentleman who has now passed away.

There appears to be 3 Cloudsly men having children in Scotland in the early 1600s, they are; William in Ferry port on Craig, Jhone (John) in Montrose and Robert in Montrose. I do feel that these men are brothers and that perhaps their parents moved to the area from England in the early 1600s. This cannot be proven but it appears to be the most likely conclusion I can arrive at.

My Andrew Cloudsly and his wife Ann Air are dead ends for me so cannot connect the dots. Would be eternally grateful for any information about this surname and potentially anyone that could connect the dots.

Various research online showed me that a James Cloudsly was the proprietor of the White Hart Hotel in Arbroath, Angus in the mid 1800s. He had a few sons; James Cloudsly a Tea Merchant in London, John Cloudsly a Gas Meter Manufacturer in Westminster and Leslie Cloudsly a Commercial Traveller in Willesden (also London). This information was found on estate information of a daughter of James Cloudsly Snr; a Jessie Cloudsly of Gayfield, Arbroath.

Would really love to be able to connect all these dots, though I feel this is impossible.

Jill

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cloudsly of Angus and Kincardineshire, Scotland and potentially England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 04:35 BST (UK) »
Some very interesting information regarding a Sir Richard Cloudesly of Islington in the 16thC. A very benevolent man it appears.

There is a modern day charity that bears his name and a Cloudesly Square in London!

http://www.gillswebdesign.co.uk/Charity/pdf.documents/Richard%20Cloudesley%20Life%20&%20Times.pdf
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie