Author Topic: RootsChat I need your help please – American Immigration  (Read 1415 times)

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RootsChat I need your help please – American Immigration
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 06:19 BST (UK) »
One thing I know absolutely nothing about is American Immigration.  I need someone to help me, or to point me in the right direction.

I am trying to find out when an Ancestor of mine, James Boothman, emigrated to the States in the 1850’s.  His wife, Matty Boothman, (named Martha on the ship’s manifest), went over from Liverpool to New York on the Manhattan, arriving in New York on 8th September 1857.  Matty went over with 5 of her 6 children, all except Elizabeth, neither did her husband James accompany her.

It is suspected that James and Elizabeth either went over before Matty, in order to “prepare the way”, or afterwards.  I cannot find either of them on any of the manifest lists of people arriving in the States through New York, so I suspect they may have arrived elsewhere, maybe even in Canada, and came down into the States.

Their last child, registered as being born in the U.K., was Clara, registered in the third quarter of 1855, so James must have been in the U.K. until at least 1854.  Both James and Elizabeth, (Lizzie), along with the rest of the family, appear on the 1860 United States Census living in Hopkinville, Christian State, Kentucky, on 1st June 1860, so he must have arrived in the States between 1855 and 1860.

Any help, anyone can offer, would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat I need your help – American Immigration
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:42 BST (UK) »
http://www.tngennet.org/records/davidson/obits/nca/nca4-07.htm

Genealogical Abstracts from Reported Deaths
The Nashville Christian Advocate, 1861
1872-1873
By Jonathan Kennon Thompson Smith
Copyright, Jonathan K. T. Smith, 1997

JAMES B. BOOTHMAN,
pob:  Coln, Lancaster Co., ENG
dob:  28 June 1815
dod:   1 Aug 1873
spouse:  Martha Farraday
dom:   24 Sept 1838
immigrated: 1856
residence:  Hopkinsville, KY

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RootsChat I need your help please – American Immigration
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
findagrave memorial and tombstone:

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Boothman&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=19&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=92331700&df=all&

The dates are different than the above obit information, but it appears that the date on the tombstone is 1873, not 1872

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 05:40 BST (UK) »

Excellent !!!  We now know that he went over there in 1856, probably to “prepare the way”, for the rest of his family.  Does anyone know from which port James sailed from, or where he might have landed ?

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
Immigration records from that time period are few and far between.  If you haven't found him in the NY records that are available online, then you might try either Philadelphia, PA or Baltimore, MD.  There are even fewer of those records available. 

You might try this link, you might get lucky:

http://www.immigrantships.net/

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 17 11:32 BST (UK) »

Thanks for your help Genealiza.  Although we still don’t know from which port James sailed, or where he landed in the States, thanks to you, I now know an awful lot more about the family than I did before.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 June 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
Tina, I'm glad I was able to help a little in your search.  Please pardon the delay, I've had computer issues and had to get a new one.