Author Topic: Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?  (Read 5017 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Bertram Mitford's wife?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 June 17 15:08 BST (UK) »

I would be interested in anything more on this Allardice Family. I know that William Alexander died in Jersey on 12 November 1897, but not exactly where, and I have at least two, possibly three, of his children still to find. (I have read that there were 13 children, of whom 4 were sons; so far I have found 5 sons and 6 daughters). I have his birth and that of his wife Helen Guthrie, and I know that Helen died in Kent in 1928.

As for the known children
Helen Maria married William Hamilton Ritchie in India in 1896
Mary Isabella married Adam Brack Boyd in India in 1888
William Patrick died in India in 1910
David Onslow died in South Africa in 1960
Alexandrina Colquhoun married John Roland Errington in India in 1893
Laura Winifred married Dugald Alexander MacMillan in India in 1896
Duncan Alexander, born 1878, probably died in infancy
Beatrice Agnes married Bertram Vernon Mitford in Jersey in 1900, as you have kindly told me
Florence married Ernest Bolden in London in 1919
Harry was killed in France in 1916
Colin McDermid was killed in Flanders in 1915

Have you got Margaret, who was with Bertram and Beatrice in Jersey in 1901?

Margaret G Allardice, sister in law, 19 b India.

I think she died as Margaret Gwendoline Vere-Stead in Devon in 1958, aged 75.

An online tree has her born at Mysore, India on 15 Jan 1882 & married 1909 in Valparaiso, Chile to Redmond Morres Vere-Stead, who died at Iquique, Chile on 30 May 1937.  One son is attributed to them: John Ozanne Vere-Stead, born 18 Dec 1909 at Virjinia, Tarapaca, Chile.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 June 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
No, Margaret is one I didn't have. Thank you very much indeed. I had looked for Bertram in 1901, but did not find him.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sandstones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 August 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all
The Allardice family in India are the offspring of William Patrick Allardice , Writer to the signet, who studied in Edinburgh . Captain Allardice was born in Malta. The family are linked to Brechin and the Guthries of Brechin. I am the grandson of David onslow Allardice, who settled in South africa after The Boer war. The Indian family were born on Mylomony Coffee estate , in Karanataka, near Mysore.
See my GENI profile
Neville

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 August 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I am the grandson of David onslow Allardice, who settled in South africa after The Boer war.
See my GENI profile
Hello, Neville. You and I must be 6th cousins once removed (!). I have loads of information about the Guthrie/Brechin connection, and various Indian connections, including the birth and marriage details of several of the Allardice family there. However I cannot find you on Geni. There seem to be several references on A******y to your grandfather.

Once you have made one more post to this forum, I will be able to contact you by Private Message to exchange e-mail addresses if you want to compare notes. Look forward to hearing from you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hertslet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 September 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
I am Beatrice Mitford's great neice. Her brother (my grandfather David Onslow Allardice) first travelled to South Africa as a volunteer in Lumsden's Horse which was a volunteer regiment of tea and coffee planters during the Boer War along with his brother Hugh (after whom my own father is named). Both David and Hugh made it back to India after the Boer War but I can find no record of what happened to Hugh after that.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 September 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Hertslet. I apologise for not responding more promptly, but I have been away from home and unable to check my main database.

Like Neville, you must be my 6th cousin once removed! Pleased to 'meet' you too.

I read somewhere that William Alexander Allardice and Helen Guthrie had 13 children, 4 of whom were sons, but I have only found 12 so far, including 5 sons. I did not have anything on Hugh, so he must be the 13th child and the 6th of the 4 sons. 

All information about this Allardice family will be of interest, and I have lots of information about the family of Helen Guthrie. We won't be able to contact one another off-forum until you have made 3 posts to the forum. So please do post twice more, then we can get in touch direct.

Offline Hertslet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks that is interesting. I was about 4 or 5 when I met Aunt Beatrice - she travelled by Union Castle liner to Durban in South Africa to visit my grandfather, Her brother, David Onslow. I have a photograph of taken on her arrival with my father and I.

Offline Hertslet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
William Alexander was apparently the first chairman of the Kadur Country Club in Karnataka.

Offline Sandstones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Allardice in India
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian
I have recently returned from Mylemoney coffee farm ,Chickmagalur, India. I found three graves in the coffee plants near the main house.

The graves were of the infant Duncan Allardice and  John Allardice ( son of Captain William and Ann Molison)1824-1862. John was William Patrick Allardice,s step brother and William Alexander Allardice,s uncle)John's gravestone stated that he was survived by a wife and 2 children. Was Francis Molison Allardice one of these children ?

The third  grave was Thomas Cannon, the original British coffee planter, who was related to the Allardices ,possibly via the Lowe family( Captain Williams wife Catherine Lowe had a sister who married a Cannon, Margaret Auchterlony Lowe?