Author Topic: Baldocks in Westwell and Charing.  (Read 2787 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Baldocks in Westwell and Charing.
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I hope someone can help me here. My ancestor George Baldock and was christened in Westwell on 4 May 1712. He was the third child (and second son) of Thomas Baldock and Anne Brett who were married in Westwell on 29 November 1699.

My problem is that I cannot find a christening for Thomas. I have a research note saying he was born in Charing in 1676 and was the son of Anthony Baldock but no other details. I also have a note saying Thomas was born in 1656 (again the son of Anthony). However I can find no record of Thomas online or info on where these dates came from.

Anthony may have been the son of Nicholas and Faith Baldock who died in 1622 and 1630 respectively (I have Faith's will). If so this would indicate he was born before 1622 which would suggest Thomas was born in the 1650s not 1670s.

I need to do some more checks and look and those Wills again but if anyone can confirm when Thomas was born it would be a big help.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baldocks in Westwell and Charing.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

According to a transcription there is a birth record in the Charing Parish Register that reads,
1656 May 2 Thomas s/o Anthony BALDOCKE - D.o.B.

Thomas had a sister Liddia born 2 May 1657 at Charing.

Hope this helps more than my recent postings.

Tony ???

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

According to a transcription there is a birth record in the Charing Parish Register that reads,
1656 May 2 Thomas s/o Anthony BALDOCKE - D.o.B.

Thomas had a sister Liddia born 2 May 1657 at Charing.

Hope this helps more than my recent postings.

Tony ???

Hi Tony

Yes that definitely helps a lot. The next thing for me to establish is when Anthony was born and who/when he married. I believe he was the son of Nicholas and Faith Baldock.

Thanks again for this and all your other posts which have all been very helpful.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 June 17 01:45 BST (UK) »
Anthony Baldock appears to have died in 1679.

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 June 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
Mornin' Matt,

A marriage by Licence at Little Chart, just down the hill from Westwell and Charing,

1639 Feb 26 Anthony Baldocke (36, a Husbandman) and Martha Peck (37) both said to be of the Parish.

Does this fit with your other information?

Tony

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Mornin' Matt,

A marriage by Licence at Little Chart, just down the hill from Westwell and Charing,

1639 Feb 26 Anthony Baldocke (36, a Husbandman) and Martha Peck (37) both said to be of the Parish.

Does this fit with your other information?

Tony

Hi Tony

I have a note of this marriage in my records but didn't have it linked to anyone. Do you think Martha could be Thomas's mother?

Interestingly this does fit with some other Baldocks I am looking at. There is an Anthony Baldock christened in Charing on 25 Feb 1604/05. He was the son of Nicholas Baldock and Agnes Allen who I believe were also married by licence.

I'll update you more soon.

Matt

Offline VintageSummer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to research my Baldock line in Westwell & Eastwell for sometime and hit a brickwall. The furthest I have is David Baldock born 1817 although has been listed 1817-1821.

Trying to confirm David's father I believe his brother William born 1826, their mother as far as I can tell didn't marry as I cannot find a father for either listed or any marriage to any Deborah's for that matter in that part of Kent fitting the time frame. So assuming now Deborah carried the Baldock name on, although need to make sure that is correct. So wondered if our branches might cross does your research have any  later connections in Folkestone after 1830s ? David moved there and was later  innkeeper in the town before he died in 1863.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to research my Baldock line in Westwell & Eastwell for sometime and hit a brickwall. The furthest I have is David Baldock born 1817 although has been listed 1817-1821.

Trying to confirm David's father I believe his brother William born 1826, their mother as far as I can tell didn't marry as I cannot find a father for either listed or any marriage to any Deborah's for that matter in that part of Kent fitting the time frame. So assuming now Deborah carried the Baldock name on, although need to make sure that is correct. So wondered if our branches might cross does your research have any  later connections in Folkestone after 1830s ? David moved there and was later  innkeeper in the town before he died in 1863.

Hi there

I don't have any record of a David Baldock in my records, however my Baldock ancestors are all 18th century so I don't have any info on any born post 1799.

Matt

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
For information,

David Baldock was baptised at Mersham,
1820 Jan 30 David son of Deborah Baldock – baseborn

William Wood Baldock was baptised at Westwell,
1826 Jun 10 William Wood son of Deborah Baldock – otp – Single Woman

Deborah Baldock was baptised at Eastwell,
1797 Dec 3 Deborah daughter of William and Sarah Baldock – Privately, Publically admitted to Church 24 December.

Deborah was buried at Westwell,
1837 Oct 23 Deborah Baldock - from the West Ashford Union Workhouse, otp and said to be 38.

There may have been a (bastardy) hearing in relation to David Baldock’s father but, it is even less likely that it still exists.

One difficulty in researching David Baldock’s Family is that his wife in Census returns is shown as Ann!  However, when he married at Folkestone on 3 November 1847 his wife was Rebecca Hancock.  Her father was stated to be Stephen and David’s father was said to be David Baldock a Salesman!  The death of David’s widow was registered in 1896 (at Elham District) as Ann Rebecca Baldock.  Her age was noted to be 73.

You may well have all of this but, I thought it may prove useful in clarifying the family.

Tony