Author Topic: MACKIE  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MACKIE
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on George  and Betsy Mackie Would like any info on them [BDM] I have searched without luck ... I believe they were in Kinaldie round the time of WW1

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: MACKIE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think you need to provide some more info. as the surname itself is very common as well as having many variants to the spelling.

Can you please give all the info. you have from your ancestor's birth cert. especially the maiden name of Betsy?

Annie

Added Do you know how many children they had & when the 1st was born which may give an indication of when they likely married?
If they had more children, did any have middle names?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on George  and Betsy Mackie Would like any info on them [BDM] I have searched without luck ... I believe they were in Kinaldie round the time of WW1
This isn't enough information to identify the people you want to know about.

Also I know of at least three different places called Kinaldie - do you know which one this refers to?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Possum26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
I am sorry the lack of information but I don't have a lot to go on except the 1891 Census  the mention of Kinaldie was in the letter he wrote to home I'm guessing its near Aberdeenshire???? [
[George Sinclair says he was from Aberdeenshire] I thought that bit of info may help
  I finally had a bit of luck last night and found Betsy maiden name was Cobban  Now I need to locate George and Dave Smith [4yo] If George was 31 then he must have been born in 1860 [a guess] and maybe married in the 1880's [another guess]
Im struggling with the info I have as Its so limited.... that is why i asked for help.... i see my first post was lacking..... sorry I am only learning..... been told less is more..... so i kept it short.... but way to short  if anyone can help me or point me in the correct direction thankyou if not that is fine also

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Possum26 is this the census you are referring to
1891 Census address CairnBalloch Alford Aberdeenshire
George Mackie age 31 born about 1860 Tough Aberdeenshire occupation farm servant
Betsy Mackie age 30 born about 1861 Alford
David Smith age 4 born about 1887 Alford adopted son
George Sinclair age 3 months born about 1891 Tullyness Aberdeen

There is a marriage on Scotlands People for a George Mackie to a Betsy Cobban 1888 Alford Aberdeenshire

Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for A George Mackie 12/November 1858 Tough Aberdeenshire
Father John Mackie
Mother Isabella Reid
The marriage certificate  on Scotlands People should confirm if this is the right parents

Rosie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
That's useful.

George Mackie married Betsy Cobban in 1888 in Alford, Aberdeenshire. You can view an image of the marriage certificate at modest cost at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it will tell you George's and Betsy's ages and the full names of both sets of parents including their mothers' maiden names.

The 1891 census index lists in Alford, Aberdeenshire, George Mackie, 31 and Betsy Mackie, 30. You can also view the original of this census at www.scotlandpeople.gov.uk

In 1901 there are various Mackies in Kintore, Aberdeenshire including two Georges and a Betsy on the same page, but their ages don't fit the 1891 ages. Again, a look at the original should clarify this.

In 1911 there are a George and Betsy Mackie, with children James and Mary, in Kinellar, Aberdeenshire.

One of the Kinaldies is in the parish of Kinellar, so this looks promising. (Other Kinaldies I know of are in the parishes of Fordyce, Banffshire; Dyce, Aberdeenshire (though these cottages are probably part of the estate attached to the Kinellar one because the boundary between Dyce and Kinellar runs along the road that passes Kinaldie House); Logie Coldstone, Aberdeenshire; Old Deer, Aberdeenshire; and St Vigeans, Angus.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
A tree has a death for George Mackie 1938 Bridge of Don Aberdeen
Death on Scotlands People 1938 George Mackie age 80 reference number 228/B18

Death for Betsy Mackie other name Cobban reference number 213/8

All these records can be viewed on www.scotlandspeople .gov for a small fee

Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 June 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
1901 census address Tofthills Cottar House Kintore ages are out
George Mackie age 26 b Tough Aberdeenshire (ploughman )
Betsy Mackie age 34 b Alford wife
George Mackie age 9 b Alford
James Mackie age 6 b Alford
Mary A Mackie age 4 b Alford
George Sinclair age 70 b Tullynessle Aberdeenshire

Rosie