Author Topic: The mystery of the missing White children from Middleton  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
The mystery of the missing White children from Middleton
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
In the census of 1881 ( RG11/ 1579 7 8) 63 year old John WHITE, now a widower, was living with his daughter Emma WHITE (b 1856) and four named grandchildren. Perusal of the birth records at the GRO reports all four of these children to be illegitimate: Theodore Frederick WHITE (1869); Cecil WHITE (1872); Ernest Alfred WHITE (1878); Edith Helen WHITE (1881)

I have traced Theodore to be the son of John WHITE's oldest daughter Amelia WHITE (1847) who married Robert LEWIS (1845) in Wolverhampton in 1870. By 1890 Theodore had enlisted with the Royal Artillery where in his Attestation he names his mother (and next of kin as Amelia Prosser). He married in Angus, Scotland in 1907.

Beyond that the trail has gone cold. I have been unable to find Emma or any of the other three children in the available online records.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of the missing White children from Middleton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for Emma White 1881 3Q in Kettering, Northamptonshire to William Gilbert.
On the 1891 Census it states Emma Gilbert was born 1856 Middleton, Northamptonshire. She is living with her husband William Gilbert and family at Bellfields Street, Little Bowden, Market Harborough, Leicestershire. I hope this is who you are looking for.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
If illegitimate children go missing, they may be using another surname. White was clearly their birth name, but if their mother married,they might have started to use their stepfather's name. Or, once they had grown up, they sometimes chose to use their real father's name.

Have you tried looking for a Cecil born 1872 Middleton or Cottingham? Or an Ernest born 1878 or an Edith born 1881?
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for Emma White 1881 3Q in Kettering, Northamptonshire to William Gilbert.

The marriage cert for the above marriage records Emma's father as John White, Labourer.
24 July 1881, Cottingham Cum Middleton
William Gilbert 51 Widower, Labourer, Middleton
Father's name - Thomas Gilbert, Publican.
Emma White 25 Spinster, Middleton
Wits - John and Elizabeth Sculthorpe.

JJ

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the info re:Emma. The names of the two witnesses leaves another layer of intrigue into this plot!!

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 June 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage Q2 1881 Kettering between Mary Anne E WHITE and John Thomas SCULTHORPE

Having viewed the Register the Brides father was John White the wedding was 26/6/1881 Cottingham

Witness were John White & Constance ??

The next but one marriage in the register is between Emma White & William Gilbert which has been mentioned in a previous posting

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Marriage for Clare White to John James Tilley 25/11/1875 Cottingham

Father of bride John White
Witnesses Lewis Woodcock White  & Emma White

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

That is one connection I had completely missed. My prime motivation at the moment is tracking down consanguineous (or cousin) marriages. I have 106 Sculthorpes in my database already!

I've been studying the Tilley family for 15 years so I knew of this one. I hadn't really looked at the White connection before this.

In fact it was the daughter of John James Tilley's first cousin who was instrumental in starting me off on researching my family's history with mention of the tragic and terrible murder of a six year old boy on Cottingham in 1875. If you would like to know more, send me a PM!

Kind regards

Alan

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 17 22:17 BST (UK) »