Author Topic: Wern Wyth, Llanelli  (Read 3292 times)

Offline dawncat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wern Wyth, Llanelli
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
It looks to me like most of  the houses have names - in part of the 1841 census addresses are just "werm" -so maybe the address was  8 Werm??

there was an independant chapel built 1770 named Capel Als (Alice) on Marble Hall Rd/Werm Rd which in 1851 had at least 1000 worshipping there

The description of the enumerator's walk in 1841 is "all that part of the Borough Hamlet lying to the right of the road through the Wern from its junction with Westfal? to ?wppellal?? & from there to Marble Hall

Suz

"The Wern" refers to a rough area of Llanelli which includes the modern day Wern Road and Ann Street  and a lot of the area at the base of Bigyn Hill.    Capel Als is still there at the very north of Wern Road and at the bottom of Marble Hall Road, opposite the pub "The Half Moon".    This area was my paper round when I was a young girl in the 1970s :)

This area is not in the modern Glyn electoral ward, which, as stated earlier is much further north and includes Ponthenri and Sylen etc, but whether it was in the Glyn area in the 1840s I couldn't tell you.

"Westfal?"  I'm not sure about, although it could be Westfa which is one of the old divisions of Llanelli, although I would associate this with the Felinfoel area, but again it might have bordered the Wern area in those days, I couldn't be sure.

"?wppellal??" Mistranslation of Capel Als maybe? sounds phonetically similar

I found this information which might be of interest to you

"Before the advent of the Workhouse in Llanelli, the poor and destitute were given sanctuary and refuge in alms houses. These were situated at The 'Wern', a district of Llanelli that lies below the slopes of Bigyn Hill. Life in these cottages was described in the closing years of the Victorian era, as being 'infinitely more humane than that of the Union Workhouse by which they were succeeded'. The present day 'Cwrt Elusendy', off Wern Road stands in their place."  link below

http://www.llanellich.org.uk/files/258-bryntirion-union-workhouse

Was there more info in the enumerator's walk?  Perhaps a picture might help me make sense of some of the names.   I don't have access to the census to look for myself I'm afraid

Offline stesim58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 July 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi--   
    Thank you for the information.
Stephen

Offline stesim58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello--
    I believe I found David Thomas in the 1833 Electors of Llanelly--
His abode was "Wern, in this parish". The property existed "On the Wern"
Stephen

Offline stesim58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 July 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi--
    I found the description of the Census--1841--area in Glyn Hamlet---
"All that part of Glyn Hamlet in the Parish of Llanelly which lies on the
right-hand side of the old Tram Road leading from Mynyddmaur to
Llanelly."
Stephen

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 July 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
with some digging around and looking at the surrounding census pages, I think we're actually a little further out of Llanelli than expected. i think we are actually south of Pontyberem, as I can sort of match the trail of properties. One big giveaway is the property Gwal yr Hwch , a couple of pages back, and from there I can find close by Pentre(y)Mawr, Pentre(y) Bach, Pont Chwith, Cappel bach, Disgwylfa, penybont, tynycwm etc

Offline stesim58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 July 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi--
    Great--I thought it was a bit further out. THANKS!!
Stephen

Offline stesim58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 July 17 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi--
   Yes--I was confusing the Werns. I see from the census that Wen Wyth is somewhere south of Pontyberem. It just does not show up on maps. Must be near Penybont and Tynycwm.
David Thomas went to the Old St. John's at Cappel Ifan/Evan.
Stephen 

Offline stesim58

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 July 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Again.
     I wonder if Tynywern near Tynycwm is connected to Wern Wyth??
Stephen

Offline dawncat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
with some digging around and looking at the surrounding census pages, I think we're actually a little further out of Llanelli than expected. i think we are actually south of Pontyberem, as I can sort of match the trail of properties. One big giveaway is the property Gwal yr Hwch , a couple of pages back, and from there I can find close by Pentre(y)Mawr, Pentre(y) Bach, Pont Chwith, Cappel bach, Disgwylfa, penybont, tynycwm etc

Here's an old map of the area side by side with a modern aerial view.   I've centred it on the hamlet of Glyn which is just north east of the village of Cynheidre.   If you follow the railway line north a little you come across the properties you mentioned (Disgwylfa and Ty'n y cwm) although I can't find a mention of Wern Wyth there.

I don't think you'll find evidence of Glyn Hamlet on modern maps as that area later became the site of Cynheidre Colliery and I imagine many properties must have been demolished- it was a pretty large site (my dad worked there for years).  The colliery is now unfortunately long gone  but Disgwylfa is still there to the north.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=51.7531&lon=-4.1814&layers=171&right=BingHyb