Author Topic: Dow coat of arms  (Read 668 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dow coat of arms
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Scottish heraldry is controlled by the Lord Lyon King of Arms & while arms are the property of an individual the clan business means that use of these arms can be ubiquitous. The Lord Lyon will be a very busy man if he takes it upon himself to travel the country destroying unauthorised arms as he is entitled to do. How he would deal with tattooed arms & torso's might prove problematic. ;D
Most of these clan chief's should be had up under the Trades Description Act, I've yet to hear one with a Scottish accent!

Dow is from the Gaelic dubh meaning black. Samuel Dow's Pigeon Blend Whisky here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Dow

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dow coat of arms
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Had an interesting image of your Lyon King of Arms pursuing brawny tattoo'd persons with scalpel, electric sander, bleach, etc.
I always say you learn at least a new fact every day on this site, and I've had more than that here. Thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.