Author Topic: Dow coat of arms  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dow coat of arms
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Scottish heraldry is controlled by the Lord Lyon King of Arms & while arms are the property of an individual the clan business means that use of these arms can be ubiquitous. The Lord Lyon will be a very busy man if he takes it upon himself to travel the country destroying unauthorised arms as he is entitled to do. How he would deal with tattooed arms & torso's might prove problematic. ;D
Most of these clan chief's should be had up under the Trades Description Act, I've yet to hear one with a Scottish accent!

Dow is from the Gaelic dubh meaning black. Samuel Dow's Pigeon Blend Whisky here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Dow

Skoosh.

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dow coat of arms
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Had an interesting image of your Lyon King of Arms pursuing brawny tattoo'd persons with scalpel, electric sander, bleach, etc.
I always say you learn at least a new fact every day on this site, and I've had more than that here. Thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)