Author Topic: Mary Essex  (Read 1290 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Essex
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 20:20 BST (UK) »

Matt I wouldn't think it unusual for Hannah to be shortened to Ann.

My daughter is a Hannah she is known as 'Han' by everyone.

Tony's right about the marriage - I have a couple of transcriptions - all say it took place at Stowting - it wasn't unusual for the groom to marry in the Brides parish either.

Stowting and Bekesbourne about 11 miles between them - thought I'd put the marriage in as I can't see another.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Essex
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 June 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony and Claire

Thanks for your help and thoughts on the marriage of William Miller and Mary Essex. However it now looks like they are not my ancestors.

I know one of my ancestors John Kennett married Mary Quested in 1732.

I had thought that Mary was christened in Mersham in about 1702, and was the daughter of James Quested and Mary Miller, who was the daughter of William Miller and Mary Essex.

However I've now discovered that John Kennett and Mary Quested were married by licence, and Both were widowed. This clearly means that Mary was only a Quested by marriage! I haven't yet found a previous marriage for either John Kennett or Mary though.

The only downside here is that I've had to delete my research into Mary's 'Quested' ancestors lol! This has meant an evening of deleting and killing off the Questeds, the Millers, the Winters of Folkestone and other related people. It also means some Wills I have are not relevant now.

It's a bit frustrating but I like puzzles like this lol! If things were straight forward and easy it wouldnt fun.

Matt