Author Topic: Kennedy's hawthorn terrace  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy's hawthorn terrace
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the tip off here about findmypast being free I was able to get access to John Kennedy s time in India.
He was born 1839 in Enniskillen . signed up for the army in Dublin at 18. Seemed to go straight to India as a private
In the 33rd foot.  Then a Gunner , bombardier ,promoted to corporal and then sergeant in the Royal artillery. I couldn't find anything about battles etc he may have been involved in. However I did find his marriage to Mary Mooney (age 17) in Sholapoor  in 1864. They had 3 children out there and after 20 years service came to England (stated in his papers intended residence Leicster. This would have been 1877 . They had 1 child in England and came to Dublin soon after and had 1 more child Jane. it was great to see the actual documents from the time.
P.s.  John is my wife's ggg grandfather.                                                                    Robbie

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Here is johns service record .He even managed to spend 2 months in prison .Wish it said what the charges were.                                                                    Robbie

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
as you said myluck  I'm not sure if baby Thomas is alive or dead. I think this is them at georges marriage with thomas as witness.  The 'K' in kennedy is kinda similar ??                  robbie

Offline Caitlín Ní C

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 May 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Dexter,
We must be related, or at least your wife must be a distant relation of mine.
Sarah Henderson, originally of Tullow in Carlow, was my grandfathers mother.
I’ve only just registered and joined here because I came across your post. Am still figuring out how this site works...
How exciting. Get in touch.
Caitlín

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Good to hear from you, when you have 3 posts on here you can pm me and I can send you some stuff that way. My wife is the granddaughter of William (Billy )Kennedy , the son of John Kennedy and Sarah Henderson. The Henderson s had a shoemakers shop in East Wall.
                                                                                                          Regards Robbie