Author Topic: An Ayrshire Coal Mining Death - Robert Scanlon Or Robert Duncan  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
An Ayrshire Coal Mining Death - Robert Scanlon Or Robert Duncan
« on: Monday 12 June 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching my mother's mother's side of the family, who were coal mining Duncans who lived at various addresses on Overton Row, Dreghorn from the early-mid 1800's onwards. Overton Colliery was owned by Merry & Cunningham from about 1860, and I discovered, on the Scottish Mining web site, that in July 1898 "Robert Scanlon, an Overton fireman, was killed yesterday while engaged in the pit there. He was going his rounds as usual, but, unknown to some brushers who were blasting, he came on a shot just as it exploded, as was killed instantaneously."

I have searched high and low on Scotland's People for a Robert Scanlon without success, except for the 1891 Census, which shows a "Robert Scanlon" aged 3 living in Springhill Row, Dreghorn. The father, William Scanlon, is listed as a Colliery Fireman. Presumably this is a coincidence and not the Robert Scanlon who was killed in 1898.

However, in my own tree there is a Jane Scanlon, who gave birth to an illegitimate son in April 1866. The boy - named as Robert Duncan on the Statutory Register - was born at 6 Overton Row, Dreghorn and the father is named as Robert Duncan, a coal miner. Robert and Jane later married.

When I search Scotland's People for the death of a Robert Scanlon - giving 5 years leeway and covering all Counties - I get zero results. When I do the same search for Robert Duncan, there are plenty of names but nothing where the age, year and location match.

The 1871 Census Shows Robert and Janet (sic) Duncan living at 23(?) Overton Row, with sons Robert (age 5) and George (2).

I can also find nothing of relevance in Find My Past regarding Robert Scanlon or Robert Duncan, except the same Census entry.

Can anyone out there help? Is the illegitimate Robert Duncan born in 1866 the Robert Scanlon who was killed in 1898? Has the Scottish Mining web site got it wrong? Am I missing something in my search of Scotlands People? Any hints and clues, or even answers, will be much appreciated.
Cowan family from Paisley, Scotland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: An Ayrshire Coal Mining Death - Robert Scanlon Or Robert Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
There is a possible death in 1898 on SP

SCANLIN ROBERT JOHN, 51, 1898, Ref 589/ 42, Dreghorn

The details are wrong for your man but may fit the man killed in the pit explosion and enable you to rule him out of your enquiries.

Possible for the the 1866 birth
SCANLON ROBERT, M, 1866, ref 589/ 54, Dreghorn
DUNCAN ROBERT, M, 1866, ref 589/ 54, Dreghorn

This would appear to indicate, as you say, that Robert was born as a Scanlon but after his parents marriage his birth was legitimised and the register adjusted accordingly.

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I should have searched for name variants, but the Scottish Mining site was pretty clear, and quoted from 2 newspapers. The Robert ScanLIN was indeed the fireman who died in the pit accident. The place of death is indecipherable but seem to indicate a pit. There is also an indecipherable note in the margin.

PS: To compound my carelessness I also erroneously posted this in the Argyllshire section.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census has a 15 yr old Robert Duncan, Coal Miner living at 48, Overton, Dreghorn with his parents Robert and Janet Duncan and  siblings John (9), Elizabeth (7), George (4) and James (2)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
There is also an indecipherable note in the margin.

The note in the margin will probably refer to an RCE (entry in the Register of Corrections) and sometimes gives further details - although in this case it may be no more than confirming the industrial nature of the death.

PS: To compound my carelessness I also erroneously posted this in the Argyllshire section.

Shows how much attention I was paying - I never noticed  :D

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry which has linked this 1901 census information to Robert Duncan born 1866 the son of Robert Duncan & Janet Scanlon

2 Kirkgate, Irvine
Robert Duncan    , 34 coal miner
Elizabeth Duncan , 34
Children
Robert Duncan    , 12
William Duncan    , 11
Susan Duncan    , 10
Elizabeth Duncan  , 3
Isabella Duncan    4 months

There is a possible marriage in 1888 in Dreghorn of Robert Duncan and Elizabeth Kerr Ref 589/ 7

Offline Ian Cowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information, which I already have. The problem is that there were at least 3 generations of Robert Duncans living in Overton Row. Susan Duncan was my Grandmother and Isabella was my Auntie Bella.