Author Topic: Help deciphering will - Cole Havers  (Read 772 times)

Offline gwrayner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help deciphering will - Cole Havers
« on: Monday 12 June 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Any assistance in deciphering this will would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Gavin

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering will - Cole Havers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
I Cole Havers of Haverhill in the county of Suffolk farmer being  of sound
and disposing mind and memory praised be God for the same hereby revoking all former wills by
me at any time heretofore made do make publish and declare this to be my last will and Testament
in manner and form following that is to say First I do hereby ratify and confirm the agreement entered into
between me and Mr James Guy bearing date the 11th day of October last for sale to him of
certain messuages cottages lands and premises belonging to me in Haverhill aforesaid and 
Hetton Item I give and devise unto my beloved wife Thurza all and every my messuages lands
tenements hereditaments and estate situate in Haverhill and Hetton in the County of Suffolk or
anywhere in the kingsom of Great Britain to hold the same unto and to the use of my said wife
Thurza her heirs and assigns for ever Item I give and bequeath all such revisionary Legacy or
legacies or share of personalty which may hereafter fall due to me under or by virtue of the wills
of the late Mr Thomas Bridge of Dunmow or of my father or grandfather unto and amongst
all such lawful children as I shall have at my decease or with which my said wife shall then
be ensient(?)  and shall be born alive in due time to be paid to them  at their respective ages of twenty one years and the issue of any of them which shall be  then dead equally share and share
alike such issue only  to be entitled to the share its father or mother would  have been entitled to if living and the interest thereof in the meantime to be applied towards the maintenance and
education of such children and issue under the management and at the discretion of my said wife
provided nevertheless that it shall and my be lawful for my Executors hereinafter named to pay
and apply the whole or any part of the principal of the shares of such Children or issue towards
putting them out to apprenticeships or otherwise for their respective advancement in life before
their or either of them shall have attained the said age of twenty one years Item all the rest residue
and remainder of my personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever which shall remain
after payment of all my just debts funeral and testamentary Expences I give and bequeath into
my said wife to and for her own use Lastly I hereby appoint my said wife Thurza Executrix and the aforenamed James Guy Executor of this my will but I do hereby declare that any pecuniary accounts which may be existing between him and me at my decease shall be prejudiced or affected and that such appointment shall not preclude him from being the purchaser of such of my real and personal Estate as my said wife shall think proper to sell in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this first day of December in the year of our Lord 1824 Cole Havers (LS) signed sealed published and delivered by the said Cole Havers the testator as and for his last will and Testament in the presence of each other Will Burleigh Willm Brown Jas Scotcher

Proved at London the 31st March 1825 before the Judge by the Oath of Thirza /in the will written Thurza Havers widow the Relict one of the Executors to whom administration was  granted having been first sworn my Commission duly to administer power reserved of making the like Grant to James Guy the other Executor when he shall apply for the same.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Just to add a couple of missed lines to goldie’s excellent transcription ...

... I do hereby declare that in the appointment of the
said James Guy to be Executor of this my Will it is not my meaning that
any Pecuniary Accounts ...

... his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have here
unto subscribed our names as witnesses thereto in his presence at his request and in the presence of
each
other ...

ensient = enceinte (with child)

I think Ketton (rather than Hetton) ?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Oops, did I miss a couple of lines Bookbox? In a rush before I went out!
I have been thinking about that 'ensient' throughout the day, and somewhere from my school day French remembered the French for pregnant was 'enciente'.
I'm thinking in those days they usually found a discreet way to say 'pregnant'!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
Oops, did I miss a couple of lines Bookbox? In a rush before I went out!
Easily done, especially when the same phrases are repeated a line apart, as here.  :)

Offline gwrayner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Awesome. Thank you very much for your help goldie61 and Bookbox, I'd never have got there by myself.