Author Topic: RHODES Family, Glossop, Derbyshire  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RHODES Family, Glossop, Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 June 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
I opted for the Glossop Union workhouse because the kids were at school in Glossop.  As I understand it, although workhouses had their own classrooms, they would still keep children in their own school.  I mean they could have been in the Ashton under Lyne Union which covered Tintwistle which is where they had been living.  I've enjoyed the links.  There's a lot of good info in there.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Glossop Poor Law Union (and therefore the workhouse) constituted the following parishes:
Glossop, including Glossop Dale, Charlesworth Churnal, Hadfield and Dinting, Padfield, Somondley, Whitfield, Ludworth and Chisworth.

Aston under Lyne Poor Law Union was comprised of the following parishes:
Lancashire: Ashton under Lyne, Denton, Droylsden, Haughton.
Cheshire: Duckingfield [Dukinfield], Godley, Hattersley, Hollingworth, Matley, Mottram, Newton, Stayley, Tintwistle.
Later Additions (all from 1894): Alt, Audenshaw, Bardsley, Crossbank, Hartshead, Hurst, Lees, Little Moss, Mossley, Stalybridge, Waterloo, Woodhouses.

Those people committed to a workhouse were referred by their parish.
So if the home parish was Tintwistle, they would be in the Ashton under Lyne workhouse.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/AshtonUnderLyne/

I think you're out of luck re records?

But try Tameside Local Studies and Archives Centre, Central Library, Old Street, Ashton-under-Lyne OL6 7SG.
The union's records were pulped during the Second World War with the exception of the Union Constitution (1837) and Guardians' Minutes (1837-1930).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 June 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
I appreciate all the input.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I will enjoy following them up.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
Lots of movement between Tintwistle and Glossop in those days - and now, indeed. Many residents of Hadfield used Tintwistle Independent Church, rather than Glossop Parish Church, because it was easier to get to.
If the wedding was in Hadfield it's a bit puzzling that the register entry for the marriage gives Parish of St James, which is Whitfield. Hadfield was in Whitfield Parish, after it was formed out of Glossop Parish, but the Parish of St Andrew's, Hadfield (formed out of Whitfield Parish), dates from 1874.
As the children were at Duke of Norfolk's school then it is almost certain that the workhouse would be the Glossop one (now Shire Hill Hospital) as it is just up the hill from the school.
Given that William was from Hadfield then presumably it would be Glossop Union that was responsible for supporting the family after William died/absconded.

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these details.  I am not certain [though proving it is another thing] that William actually died.  When his son, Joseph, married my great grandmother Evelyn Emma Ball in Flintshire in 1911 he is not named as 'deceased' on Joseph's marriage record although that could have been an oversight.  If poor Sarah was a deserted wife she may have said she was a widow because of the stigma.   I am really obliged for the geography of the place.  I live in Sheffield myself and obviously have skirted about various parts of Glossop and the High Peake down the years but it is always helpful to have local information.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 June 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Whether "deceased" is added to s father's name rather depends on the questions asked?
All you can say is that, if "deceased" is there then he is dead.
Not putting "deceased" doesn't mean he was alive! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 June 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
It might be worth getting in touch with Derbyshire CRO to see if they have workhouse admission records for Glossop. Presumably Sarah's status (widowed or deserted) would be recorded.
Good excuse for a day out in Matlock if they do  :)

Offline Misha77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 June 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are quite correct.  Absence of 'deceased' doesn't mean he didn't die.   I'm just keeping options open.  And yes, GrahamH, Derbyshire CRO will be my next stop.  I intend to plan a visit in about a month's time.  I have booked there before.  I did find it strange that William and Sarah were down as living in Hadfield in 1884 as both of them were living in Tintwistle in the Christchurch parish in 1881 and all their three children were born in Tintwistle but all the family members [including the witnesses] check out as the right people so I will have to go with that.  I found the Matlock CRO very helpful and the rootschatters input has been a real boon - thank you all very much.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 June 17 08:03 BST (UK) »
If I have the right one, the 1881 census gives William's place of birth as Lower Barn. That was a farm in the Woolley Bridge area of Hadfield. A housing estate, including Lower Barn Road, was built there around 45-50 years ago.
As William was a spinner and Sarah a weaver, they could well have been working at the Sidebottom family's Waterside/Bridge Mill complex which straddled the Etherow so was partly in Hadfield and partly in Tintwistle. They could well have been living in one of the houses just on the Hadfield side.