Author Topic: Really? Lots of "Gardeners" in Victorian Times?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Really? Lots of "Gardeners" in Victorian Times?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 June 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
In one line I researched, I discovered that the grandmother's grandmother was daughter of the Head Gardener at a fairly Big House. 
The "Gardener's Cottage" survived and was quite a good size 4 bed, 2 storey building with gables etc.
The Head Gardener was an important person, and his children played with the children from the Big House!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
I reckon there would have been a lot of gardeners in Victorian times.  By the time you consider formal gardens in big houses, kitchen gardens in big houses, market gardens, botanic gardens and the many public parks that were opening up.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input. It just occurred to me that I rarely see the term "market gardener" in earlier census returns so that would fit in with the general supposition of "gardener" being a general term.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 June 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
I've had gardeners who were simply that, domestic gardeners, employed at large houses - inthat case they lived at a lodge to the main hose, and had as boarders other members of the staff.
I have one who was a municipal gardener in a seaside town which prided itself on formally set-out gardens.
 I've also had gardeners in areas with richly fertile soil, the offspring to farmers, who developed later into market gardeners, - and in one case later moved and became the farmer themselves as their generation took over the farm.
It seemed to be a general term, widely used..
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 June 17 16:27 BST (UK) »
.........domestic gardeners, employed at large houses...........

World War One put a stop to many domestic employees.

Stupid War - yes
Tragic War - yes

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 June 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
In my part of the world (Lancashire), "Gardener" usually referred to a market garden - vegetables and salads. Some of them got "& Seedsman" added at the odd census, so they were in charge. Occasionally it was used for workers at big houses or in parks, but the context can usually help, such as the row with half a dozen gardeners close to Liverpool's Sefton Park.

The outskirts of towns could be the home of gardeners of either sort - the wealthy built their houses there. People working in market gardens might have the occupation interspersed with "ag lab", while those more used to tending shrubs and flowers would be more likely to take plain labouring jobs between engagements.

I do have a couple of chaps who are down as "Gardener (Domestic)". One of them headed to the USA in 1909 and worked on fancy mansions there. His Draft Registration in 1942 even gives the name of his employer.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 June 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
My 3 * great grandfather was an agricultural worker, then under gardener, then gardener (from 1841 til his death in 1878). The only picture I have of him (and I know I am really lucky to have found a distant cousin with a few amazing old photos) shows him with a plant :)   

Edited: tried to add the photo but it's too big (and I can no longer find out how to reduce its size :(  )
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 June 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
A member of my family, born in Tadcaster, appears in the 1841 census as a gardener in Sussex, as part of the household at Stansted Park House.   By 1851 he has married and is in Marham in Norfolk and has his nephew (from Tadcaster) working with him.  Later census entries, all in Norfolk, have him as gardener or nurseryman.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY