Author Topic: Privilege leave and Embarkation leave - Army, WW2  (Read 670 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Privilege leave and Embarkation leave - Army, WW2
« on: Monday 12 June 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
I understand the Privilege leave was given to Soldiers after they had served a specific amount of time. Am I right? and can anyone tell me what length of leave a soldier would have got - did it vary according to length of service?

Embarkation leave - I understand that was given to soldiers prior to embarking out of Britain. I believe it was usually 14days' duration. Am I right? Did it vary?

Thank you
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Privilege leave and Embarkation leave - Army, WW2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
You haven't identified the period you are interested in - things change. Whichever, this is Hansard, 12 July 1949

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1949/jul/12/embarkation-leave#S5CV0467P0_19490712_CWA_7

Apologies - just spotted WW2 in title of post.
S. Wales, Somerset, Devon - Oxenham

Aberavon - Hopkin/s, Jenkins, Thomas
St. Brides/Wick - Jenkins
Llanblethian -  Price
Abergwynfi -  Han(d)ford
Pontardawe -  Lewis.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/search

If you put "privilege leave" (keep the "   " as part of search key) in the search field should return 211 hits - mainly the 1940s

"embarkation leave" (include the "   "as part of search key) returns 120 hits, again mainly the 1940s

S. Wales, Somerset, Devon - Oxenham

Aberavon - Hopkin/s, Jenkins, Thomas
St. Brides/Wick - Jenkins
Llanblethian -  Price
Abergwynfi -  Han(d)ford
Pontardawe -  Lewis.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Embarkation leave and disembarkation leave are still granted today... Pre and post tours /ops... As is privilege... For normal leave... Sometimes unit block leave... Nothing has changed... :)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have made it clearer that my question concerned WW2. I'm trying to find out what 'privilege leave' was - how it was earned, how much time was given

Re 'embarkation leave' I gather it was given prior to ops so long as it was possible in light of action I guess. I'm trying to find out what was a typical period of embarkation leave, so I'm taking a look at Hansard as suggested by hayns teulu but if anyone can save time for me I'd be very grateful
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)