Author Topic: Gravesend electoral roll - late 1950s  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Gravesend electoral roll - late 1950s
« on: Monday 12 June 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to research the family of someone who I have been told lived in Gravesend during the late 1950s (and possibly early 1960s)  They would have been in their early 20s so I can't give names as they may still be alive.  (I'd like the father's name if possible to cross reference with a marriage certificate.)

My question is - where would I be able to find a copy of the electoral roll for Gravesend for say 1958 - I can't find any clues online. 

Also, how likely would it be that a girl from Gravesend would be working as a secretary in a central London office?  I know my mother commuted up from near Brighton everyday so I'm thinking Gravesend would be a possibility too?

Thank you,

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gravesend electoral roll - late 1950s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Gravesend had its own constituency from 1949 to 1983.

In 1955 over 47,000 of the eligible voters did so in the general election so unless you have an address that's a lot of addresses to look through.

The British Library has a copy but they are stored off-site and need to be ordered in advance  if you are planning to visit to take a look.

Maybe Medway Archives can point you in the direction as to who may have a set in Kent.

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/about/medway_archives/

Dawn

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Start with http://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/kent-history-and-library-centre.  Unless you have an address it would be a significant search as I don't believe there would be a name index.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much - oh dear, I don't have an address as my relative only remembers Gravesend as being where they lived.  This may take a while... but I will check out the links.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
It would be an easy commute to London, most trains go to London Bridge (convenient for the City) and Charring Cross (for West End & Westminster).

Nic

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nic - that's what I was hoping to hear!
Research interests:

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 06:04 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to find the father on the 1939 register which may give a starting address?

Or, potentially stupid question, is there an address on the marriage certificate?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Lol not a stupid question at all! However, if I have the right cert they moved to Hastings by the early 1960s - or possibly the parents were already down there and she joined them. That is where she married.

Now, 1939 ... there's a thought - shame I'm on my way to work - I'll check it this evening- I checked for her as a baby redacted a while ago but didn't think of him!

Thanks

Liz
Research interests:

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
 ;D Success!

Thank you so much!

I have looked up the 1939 register and not only found the parents but also found the person I've been hunting!  She was born late September 1939 so really lucky she's there at all, but she died last year so her entry must have been uncovered very recently.  Just sad that we have found her a little too late, though I think it will be helpful to my relative to know what happened.

Liz

PS Anyone know how I mark this as completed?
Research interests: