Author Topic: School Records/Non-Conformist Baptism Records For Blaenavon  (Read 1331 times)

Offline carolina1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
School Records/Non-Conformist Baptism Records For Blaenavon
« on: Monday 12 June 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just wondered if anyone would be able to help please.    I, and some other family members, will be visiting Blaenavon in a few weeks.  We will be staying in the area for a few days.   

I wondered if there were any school records for St Peter's County Voluntary Junior School (Boys), Blaenavon, in existence?   From about 1851 to 1875.    If so, where would we be able to view these?   Again if so, would we have to book to view any records?

Also are there any non-conformist baptism records available from about 1845 to 1876?    If so, where would we be able to view these?   Again, would we have to book to view any records.

My last query is that my g.grandmother x4 is buried in Blaenavon her name was Eliza Hancock (she died on 9 November 1906, she was living at 10 Bryn Terrace, Blaenavon at the time).  However, it seems, according to FindMyPast, that her funeral was held at All Saints Church in Newport.  I think the church was demolished and a new church was built.  Would there be any funeral records anywhere?   I did contact someone at the church as we initially did not know that she was buried in Blaenavon so I was originally asking about a graveyard at the church.  Of course there isn't one.  But no one came back to me about funeral records.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.   We are very much looking forward to visiting the area.  The family lived in Llanover for many years.  Many family members remained in Wales but some moved North to Liverpool, St Helens and also Yorkshire.

Thank you.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: School Records/Non-Conformist Baptism Records For Blaenavon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
any deposited records should be at the archives in Ebbw Vale

http://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/

When you say non-conformist records, which denomination are you looking for?

http://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/our-collection/church-and-chapel/nonconformist.aspx

You have the burial record from FindMyPast, but if you look at the page it's written on, it shows Blaenavon at the top. It has been wrongly indexed, not uncommon with the parish registers from Wales on that site. So the burial was in Blaenavon parish church, St Peter's. The part about under the Burial Laws Ammendment Act means that she was non-conformist. That is all the record there would be.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/470285
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
As said for the school records I;d try the Gwent Archives http://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/

They don;t have many catalogues online, however through googling I came across list of school records they were  digitising which included some from St Peters CV School. It said the records were unavailable due to the project, but I'm unclear how old that list was, so best to make enquiries of the Archives.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 07:10 BST (UK) »
If you can, make arrangements to visit the church, its a lovely old building and there are some interesting gravestones in the burial ground.  There is much to see in the area, full of historical relics of the industrial past.  Attached one view of the interior beauty of this church.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolina1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 17 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies.   I will be contacting Gwent so thank you for that.   I am waiting for relatives to get back to me with regard to being more specific around baptism records.   

Thank you for your time and assistance it is much appreciated.