Author Topic: Captain A Hollywood from Co Armagh SS Madam Brooke  (Read 872 times)

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain A Hollywood from Co Armagh SS Madam Brooke
« on: Monday 12 June 17 21:00 BST (UK) »
Whilst researching Armagh WW1 Causilities I came  across this  in the Armagh Guardian dated 16 Aug1918.                                                                                                                                  Captain Arthur Hollywood of Fathom Co Armagh Master of the* SS Madam Brook of London was according to information received in Newry was washed overboard while coming from France and drowned.
Probate 1918 - HOLLYWOOD Arthur of Field House, Bank Road, Dawley, Shropshire, master mariner, died 5 August 1918 at sea. Administration Shrewsbury 2 November to Agnes Hollywood widow.                                                                                                                              Royal Fleet Auxiliary 15 June 1917 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a collier serving the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co - name unchanged until 24 July 1917.                                   25 July 1917 re-deployed as a collier until 3 August 1917                                                       *1918 renamed Madame Brooke by her owners                                                                         23 February 1918 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport on Belgian Government Service carrying stores                                                                                                                       18 January 1919 arrived Blyth from Antwerp                                                                              * error in name in newspaper.                                                                                                 No CWGC menition? is there a reason?                                                                                   Should he not be included in the CWGC as he died on active service during WW1?                     Can any one help?                                                                                                                                        Many thanks                                                                                                                              Joe

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Captain A Hollywood from Co Armagh SS Madam Brooke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Not all casualties are listed on the CWGC unfortunately. Does his name appear on any War Memorial ?
Perhaps you could take this up them or the site where you found his name during your research.

I had a distant cousin who I found during my research had died in 1919 of wounds received in 1916. He was hospitalised for over 2 years and never returned home. I contacted the CWGC and had to provide them with evidence of his birth and death. He was Scots born but died in England. After a number of months they finally honoured him and he is now listed.

Hope this helps and you can do something to honour his memory.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
I have cut this from a similar question on Great War Forum as Mercantile Marine had strict rules about commemoration on CWGC ...unfair in my view as they were serving country when they died.
Because it was accidental and not in a combat situation he isn't included on CWGC

The rule for Mercantile Marine men is that they had to die both on duty and of a war cause or a cause due to an increased threat brought on by war. If they did not meet both those conditions, they cannot have war grave status or CWGC commemoration. It is nothing to do with being a combatant. The Mercantile Marine were one of the Recognised Civilian Organisations which got CWGC commemoration if they met these two requirements.
However, if a man was in the naval forces, he would get automatic commemoration no matter what the time or cause of death.
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
From an answer (to what I believe is your query) on another site posted last Friday-

"Someone will correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be), but I believe for commemoration by C.W.G.C. a member of the Merchant Marine had to die as a result of enemy action."
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/250809-captain-a-hollywood-armagh-ss-madam-brook/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks.

I had not realised that it was a different criteria for Mercantile Marine's when I posted my reply.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your replies.
  The rule for Mercantile Marine men is that they had to die both on duty and of a war cause or a cause due to an increased threat brought on by war. If they did not meet both those conditions, they cannot have war grave status or CWGC commemoration. It is nothing to do with being a combatant. The Mercantile Marine were one of the Recognised Civilian Organisations which got CWGC commemoration if they met these two requirements.
However, if a man was in the naval forces, he would get automatic commemoration no matter what the time or cause of death.
I will include Captain A Hollywood on my list of Co Armagh WW1 Casualties

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:40 BST (UK) »
CWGC memorial http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/90002/TOWER%20HILL%20MEMORIAL

You might like to follow up dowdstree suggestion, there are already 5 Hollywoods on the memorial.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
maxD - I had a look at the site and it is very interesting as I was not aware of its existence.

armagh20  -  It might be worth trying to follow this up as suggested. I found the CWGC very helpful when I contacted them about my quest.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
The proposal for a memorial to the missing of the merchant marine as a counterpart to the RN Memorials was first made in Parliament in December 1926.  It was unveiled by the Queen in December 1928 only a year or so after the Menin Gate and the Tyne Cot Memorial.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia