Author Topic: James Guthrie, Dipton, Co Durham  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Guthrie, Dipton, Co Durham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Jomot,

I already had the idea of the sawmill and I was pretty sure there was only ever one sawmill in Dipton.  But that is just a tiny bit of the picture and the information you have supplied has given me an overview - what you might call the Big Picture.  Thanks again

Elliven

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
Either a 1831 typo or a more modern one. Should be Collierley Dykes, Dipton.  Nice photograph of the Church and description of Collierley. .

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2248200

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks barryd,

You are quite right about the spelling.  I have lived in the village for the last 31 years and I had picked up on that error.  After months of finding nothing at all Jomot gave me one big clue then followed up with a lot more and I am starting to build up the picture now.  It's amazing what comes out of a simple request on this site!

Elliven

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Just to confirm that I know the correct spelling but typed it exactly per the newspaper.  It is advertised several times between Sep 1830 and Feb 1832 in both the Durham County Advertiser and the Newcastle Chronicle, and each time the spelling is Colliery.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
It should be noted also that written English did not have standardised spelling until 1835-1840 but even then the compositors who made up the typeset for newspapers were literate but not the best educated of people.  Add to that the Geordie accent and spelling errors were inevitable!

Elliven

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Jomot,

Armed with the information you gave me, I have been to have a look at the site.  The telephone exchange occupies part of it but there is a new-ish bungalow on the other part and in the garden of that property is a huge stone wall which the owner believes to have been part of the sawmill/pub.  It appears to be the gable end of a large two storey building.

Co-incidentally, I have found a photo of horses drawing tree trunks past what I believe to be that same wall.  So, thanks to you, the owner and I are pursuing the story and we hope to dig up even more.  Thanks again.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliven

Good to hear that the owner is interested in the history too  - do post an update if you unearth anything, literally or figuratively !
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 June 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Jomot,

The attached photo shows a huge section of wall that I had never seen before (even though I only live 100 yards away) because it is hidden from the street by trees.  I have also found an early 20th Century photograph of horses pulling logs to Ewehurst Sawmill showing a near identical piece of wall.  The location I have found is in Ewehurst Road!  So I am very hopeful.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 June 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
The last Guthrie I have a record of is the marriage of Lucy Ann Guthrie/Ralph Irwin 1 October 1904. 
St. Thomas, Collierley or if you prefer Harelaw. Not related to either.