Author Topic: William Montague died Watford 1849  (Read 2450 times)

Offline LesleyJaneMontague

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Montague died Watford 1849
« on: Monday 12 June 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there, am a bit stuck, can anyone help me trace the birth of my 4x great grandfather? William Montague died in the Watford cholera epidemic in 1849, aged 37 according to his death cert of which I have a copy. This gives a birth date of about 1812. He is on just the one census,1841, (but spelt Montigue) living with his wife Jane and young sons, George and William, at the Rookery, a silk throwster. This census says he was not born in the county of Hertfordshire, and that's about all I've got to go on! I also have a copy of his marriage certificate- in Rickmansworth on 25/12/1832 William Montague bachelor of this parish, married Jane Collins, spinster of this parish. Witnessed by William Collins and Timothy Rogers (the latter is a witness to all 3 marriages on this page of the register, a rector/vicar/churchman of some sort?). Have also found a Jesse Montague, born about 1820 in Watford who married Mary Ann Cole on 18/10/1841 at St Pancras old church, witnesses William and Jane Montague - think they could be related but don't know how. Jesse states his father George Montague is a gardener from Camden Town. Have also found a marriage in Rickmansworth for a George Montague, bachelor of this parish to a Sarah Powell, on 23/10/1831, witnesses Jane Collins and William Montague! Any pointers/advice much appreciated.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: William Montague died Watford 1849
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hello LesleyJane and welcome to rootschat.

You've posted on the How to use rootschat board, so I'll ask a moderator to move your query - maybe to the Hertfordshire board as a starting point.

I can see also on the 1851 census that there were a couple more children to William and Jane:

Jane Montague          37    Watford (widow, pauper needle works)
George Montague    15    Watford (silk throwster)
William Montague    13    Watford  (silk throwster)
Abraham Montague    4    Watford
Charles Montague    1    Watford

HO107/1714 / 294

It certainly sounds like there should be some connection with the George and Sarah POWELL marriage in 1831. Will keep looking.  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Meant to add that Jesse MONTAGUE is on the 1841 census with the COLE family at Holt's Yard, Watford:

Mary Cole       50
John Cole       23
Mary Cole       20
Martha Cole    18
Jesse Montague    20
(all born in County I think)

HO107/439/32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help! I've been through lots of census info for both Jesse's family, which seemed to move around quite a bit, and William's after he died. I've pretty much ground to a halt with William's origins though, so frustrating....thanks again. Hopefully I'll get to know the ropes as I go along!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
There's a George Montague, gardener, aged 50 in the 1841 census at Dyson's Yard, Watford. With Catherine, 45, both born in-county.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Yes I've come across this Census entry too, but it's making connections between them all that's causing me problems. Thanks for your help!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 01:46 BST (UK) »
Just in case you don't have it, there is this marriage at Little Stanmore, Middlesex on 17 Jan 1841

George Montague, Full Age, Widower, Gardener of Little Stanmore. Father: George Montague, Gardener
Catherine Mason, Full Age, Widow of Little Stanmore. Father: John Weedon, Gardener
Wits: Eliza Lawrence (?), Joseph Welsh
George signed, Catherine made her mark

As William had a son named Abraham, this baptism could also be interesting:

2 Jun 1822, St. Marys, Watford, Abraham s/o George & Ann Montague

ADDED:  It looks like Abraham served in the Royal Marines & can be found in the barracks at Chatham in 1841
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k97/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 05:40 BST (UK) »
Still not helping to find the father of William, but the marriage of George MONTAGUE and Catherine MASON (both widowed) probably explains why Emma MASON (13) is with them in the 1841 census at Dyson's Yard, Watford.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 08:53 BST (UK) »
A possibility in Waltham Abbey:

Baptism 22 April 1812

William Montague

Parents George & Ann

Possible siblings also baptised at Waltham Abbey: George (1810) Isaac (1815), Thomas Henry (1816)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk