Author Topic: William Montague died Watford 1849  (Read 2470 times)

Offline LesleyJaneMontague

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Montague died Watford 1849
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all this info! I have thought the William baptised at Waltham Abbey a contender. His parents George Montague and Ann Banster/ Varester married there 10/4/1809. Other children George b 10/10/1810, Isaac b 1815 d 1816, Thomas Henry b1816, all Waltham Abbey. Have managed to trace George through the censuses as he moved north, so he can't be the George Montague in Watford. I just don't know how you can know with any certainty that this is the right William.... The 1822 baptism of Abraham to a George and Ann Montague is interesting as this could make him another brother to those outlined above. It's like putting a jigsaw puzzle together with no picture to look at! Thank you for your help, I should have registered with Rootsweb long before now!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
Just had a look on Ancestry and an Ann Montague died in Watford and buried there 8/7/1839, so that could leave George a widower and so he married again, to Catherine, a few years later? I think I'll have to send off for her death cert to see if that might have additional info. The info about Abraham joining the Marines is interesting as my William had a son William who joined the army, and he's in Colchester barracks on the 1861 Census. Thank you for looking at things with fresh eyes, always useful!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
Something else struck me, with the mention about names within the family, so I've double checked. The George Montague from Essex who moved north is on the censuses as George B Montague, and has 2 sons George Ben and Ben Montague. George B senior died in Hull in 1893 by which time my side of the family had moved to Yorkshire. When my grandad Montague was born in 1891 he was named Ben! Is this significant perhaps? My dad says he often wondered where the name came from because he had no other Bens in the immediate family as far as my dad knew. Just a thought....

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Another thought - I'm assuming Jesse MONTAGUE died in 1892 aged 72 (3a/498). His name is recorded as Jesse James MONTAGUE, perhaps he was baptised James and known as Jesse? (Although I can't see a suitable baptism for a James MONTAGUE either.  ???)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Yes I presume he's the Jesse Montague that died in Watford in 1892. I didn't know about his other name of James though, thanks!

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
There are some wills for Montagues in Hertfordshire, a bit earlier:

PCC wills:

1773, William Montague, of Park Street, St Stephen, maltster
    Daughters Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary
    Son and executor William
1774, William Montague, of Watford, victualler
    Wife and executrix Susannah, no children mentioned
1781, Giles Montague, of Berkhamstead St Peter, innholder
    Wife Ann, no children mentioned
    William Montague, son of late deceased uncle George Montague, blacksmith
     John Montague, another son of George Montague

Wills at Hertford:

1791, Daniel  Montague, of Kimpton, husbandman, register will and filed will
1791, Elizabeth  Montague, of Kimpton, widow, register will and filed will
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
Assuming George is the correct father then this may well be his baptism at St Mary's, Watford:

26 Jul 1789, George Daniel Montague s/o Geor. & Catharine

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info on the wills, which is new to me. Also the baptism for George which again is new food for thought. I need to sit down now with pen and paper to absorb it all !

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your ideas so far. Sent off for Ann Montague's death cert but not a lot of new info gleaned. She died aged 54 (could be 56, not v clear, but more likely 54) of consumption in Watford workhouse. Informant Sarah Knowles who was present at the death. Ann's occupation is 'wife of labourer'. One other interesting development...I've had an Ancestry DNA test and 'matched' with a chap in Australia, as possible 5th to 8th cousins, and his gt grandfather x 4 is Jesse Montague (referred to in my original post). I'm no expert in DNA, but is this sufficient to prove Jesse and William were brothers?? Or am I assuming too much? Thanks for any advice you are able to provide.