Author Topic: Help me make sense of Valuation Office Records Please COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 657 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
link to the National Archives - Valuation Office Books and in particular the House Book 1846 record for Patrick Roche.

Patrick (d1888) is my gggrandfather. I know he lived in Killeigh Blackwater from family stories and I have the births of his first 2 children there. I know of 2 other children as their descendants are known to me. Patrick moved to Ballybrega before Griffiths Valuation (I have followed the record forward and family still live there) and I always believed he moved after the birth of child 2 as he was baptised in Blackwater in 1847.
Anyway this record appears to me to show him in Ballybrega in 1846- its not very far from Blackwater, in fact the parish boundary runs down the road in front of the house.  So I now think he may have moved earlier that we thought.

I cant read all of it and am not sure why he appears to be crossed out- it looks like the word down and some other word written over the record- can anyone read/explain? Also am I right in assuming that the date of 1846 on the page means he was there in 1846??

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246842_00091.pdf

the record I am referring to is 2nd on right hand page.

Thanks in advance for reading.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make sense of Valuation Office Records Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
It read that is is Down, Levelled! So not there anymore...

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make sense of Valuation Office Records Please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark. I can see it clearly now that you have told me what it says, levelled!  Well I don't know what to make of all that. They were there for Griffiths and onwards from then. I guess they must have built a new house. My cousin who lives there now did tell me that the house that is there although old is not the original house. As I said earlier I had thought they moved after the birth of
 2 nd child as his baptism is in Blackwater. Perhaps they only moved into Blackwater while house being built. I must go look at Griffiths again to see what kind of house they had on that.

Anyway thanks for reading it.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary