Author Topic: Help me make sense of Valuation Office Records Please COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 991 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
link to the National Archives - Valuation Office Books and in particular the House Book 1846 record for Patrick Roche.

Patrick (d1888) is my gggrandfather. I know he lived in Killeigh Blackwater from family stories and I have the births of his first 2 children there. I know of 2 other children as their descendants are known to me. Patrick moved to Ballybrega before Griffiths Valuation (I have followed the record forward and family still live there) and I always believed he moved after the birth of child 2 as he was baptised in Blackwater in 1847.
Anyway this record appears to me to show him in Ballybrega in 1846- its not very far from Blackwater, in fact the parish boundary runs down the road in front of the house.  So I now think he may have moved earlier that we thought.

I cant read all of it and am not sure why he appears to be crossed out- it looks like the word down and some other word written over the record- can anyone read/explain? Also am I right in assuming that the date of 1846 on the page means he was there in 1846??

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246842_00091.pdf

the record I am referring to is 2nd on right hand page.

Thanks in advance for reading.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make sense of Valuation Office Records Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
It read that is is Down, Levelled! So not there anymore...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help me make sense of Valuation Office Records Please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark. I can see it clearly now that you have told me what it says, levelled!  Well I don't know what to make of all that. They were there for Griffiths and onwards from then. I guess they must have built a new house. My cousin who lives there now did tell me that the house that is there although old is not the original house. As I said earlier I had thought they moved after the birth of
 2 nd child as his baptism is in Blackwater. Perhaps they only moved into Blackwater while house being built. I must go look at Griffiths again to see what kind of house they had on that.

Anyway thanks for reading it.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary