Author Topic: Elizabeth Nelson death  (Read 2371 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Nelson death
« on: Tuesday 13 June 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I came across this mention of an Elizabeth Nelson who died suddenly at Peaks Ferry in 1885.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111342468

I can't find a death record or Coroners report to find any more information about her.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline snoopy8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Nelson death
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mum Mum
The article actually reads Peat's Ferry, but I had a quick look and couldn't find
Elizabeth Nelson death in that year, might be another name.  Keep searching.
Snoopy
John & Martha Hord, Smith of Tanner's Hill Deptford. Lewis of Glynn Ceiriog Wales.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Evening News Thursday 8 Oct 1885
An inquest was held at Peat's Perry on the body of Elizabeth Nelson, who died suddenly on Friday. 
It appeared that she had been living with a person on the railway works. She was buried in the Eyde churchyard on Saturday night.

Should this be Ryde churchyard  (E and R close on keyboard)?

Possible?
NSW BDM death   (1 Oct 1885)
9091/1885 WATKIN  Elizabeth parents Donald / Mary A     @ Ryde

I suspect that the location is Peats Ferry, in 1885 site of construction of Great Northern Railway (Trove search).

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Her death was on the previous Friday from Thurs 8 Oct which would have been 2nd Oct 1885.

Mum mum what interest do you have in an Elizabeth NELSON?  Do you know her year of birth?

Have you searched NSW just using Elizabeth and her dod?

Peats Ferry -
http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/peats_ferry
................ the name Peats Ferry was used for the locality around Kangaroo Point and the western part of what is now the village of Brooklyn in Hornsby shire.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
There is a NSW Inquest for Elizabeth Watkins {the scribe doesn't appear to cross t's or could be Walkins}
Date Returned: 14 Oct 1855
Coroner/Magistrate: J E Bowden     
Where Held: The Tunnel Ryde
When: 2nd Oct 1885
Name: Elizabeth Walkins/Watkins
Born: NSW
Locality died: Ryde
Result Inquest: Natural Causes

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Elizabeth Nelson I am looking for was my GGG Grandmother, arrived in Swan River with the Broughton family on the Hooghey, married Henry Woods as Elizabeth Robinson. She left Henry in Tasmania and married John Nelson in Sydney, John seems to have disappeared, she spent time in Darlinghurst goal. If my internet would work I would look up details.
Born around 1818, I think from memory but would have told lies about her age I'm sure.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 06:02 BST (UK) »
Where did your ggg grandmother die?  Can you please list all the information on the death certificate.

Can you identify the son / daughter of your great great great grandmother from whom you are descended.....your great great grand parent.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
I don't know where or when my GGG Grandmother Elizabeth Nelson died, or even what name she was calling herself when she died. She was born 1812 in Manchester, arrived in Swan River on the Hooghly in 1830 with the Broughton family, we have evidence which strongly suggests that she was Jane Broughton's daughter from a previous marriage.
She married Henry Wood in Freemantle in 1830, arrived in Tasmania in 1845 with Henry when he was convicted of theft again. She left Henry in Tasmania and married John Nelson in NSW in 1849.
Her daughter Elizabeth Jane Wood married William Holmes in Sydney. Elizabeth Nelson who arrived on the Hooghly is in Darlinghurst goal in 1859, this is the last positive sighting I have of her.
mum mum

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
If you are wanting to research the origins of your great great grandmother - Elizabeth Jane Wood married William Holmes - it would be better to change the title of your post.

BDM NSW marriage
741/1853 V1853741 39C   WOOD Jane E  m.  HOLMES  William   @  MF