Author Topic: Elizabeth Nelson death  (Read 2381 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Nelson death
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
If you are wanting to research the origins of your great great grandmother - Elizabeth Jane Wood married William Holmes - it would be better to change the title of your post.

BDM NSW marriage
741/1853 V1853741 39C   WOOD Jane E  m.  HOLMES  William   @  MF
Umm, that's not what I asked for. I was looking for a death certificate, or coroners report for the Elizabeth Nelson who was mentioned in the newspaper that I linked to. As a family member of my Elizabeth Nelson was in the area at the time I was hoping to find more information to see if it was my Elizabeth Nelson.
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
This would seem to be the death of the woman mentioned by Westward.
(As mentioned by wivenhoe) ;D

WATKIN Elizabeth
9091/1885
Parents Donald & Mary A
At RYDE

So do you know the parents of your woman?
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks but I'm sure that's not mine, the one mentioned in the newspaper is definitely Elizabeth Nelson, not Watkin. If that is somehow the one the newpaper mentions it's definitely not mine.
We are sure her Mother was Jane Broughton and that Joseph Broughton would have been her Stepfather. She would have been in her seventies by this time if it was my woman.
I just couldn't find a record of the death to rule this one out.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
  A thought here.
I suspect the error is in the newspaper.  The item was possibly written from hand written notes, typed for publication.
In my opinion, NELSON and WATKIN,  in old script, could very easily be confused. The two names have a similar length, bulk and tall letters in the middle.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
From Ancestry, and records for Darlinghurst Gaol, Elizabeth NELSON, committed for vagrancy, 1859, born Manchester, arrived Hooghley...........arrived as a convict.

Is this the record you are referring to?. If not, can you please identify the gaol record you are seeing?

The Hooghly brought settlers to WA, 1830. The Hooghly brought male convicts to NSW, 1825 and 1827. This ship brought female convicts to NSW, 1831.

How have you identified Elizabeth NELSON, Darlinghurst Gaol, to be the woman who married John NELSON, NSW 1849, and to be the mother of Jane WOOD  m. William HOLMES, NSW 1853?.

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 June 17 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
tree on this site
 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi  lists Elizabeth  and Henry with a son Henry WATKINS Wood
  Elizabeth may have been using the name Watkins
Muss

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 June 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
tree on this site
 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi  lists Elizabeth  and Henry with a son Henry WATKINS Wood
  Elizabeth may have been using the name Watkins
Muss
Yes that sparked my interest as well, Watkins was Henry's Mothers maiden name. But the death gives parents names which lead me to believe it was someone else.