Author Topic: Hendersons of Linlithgowshire  (Read 30494 times)

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hendersons of Linlithgowshire
« on: Sunday 11 June 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
William Henderson  born 1849 bo'ness linlithgowshire   married  margaret casey from  newton  glasgow  date of marriage 23 june 1872 at crofthead lanarkshire scotland her father was william casey and mother was Mary they went to new zealand in 1874 and lived in westport waimangarua  there they had children william peter margaret james  and isabella i am trying to trace my gg grand fathers family  he lived in linlithgowshire  . how can i find his marriage certificate i been lookin g on many sights but no luck i got the place and date but no luck of recording  can someone please advise me what to do

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hendersons from Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 June 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
William Henderson  born 1849 bo'ness linlithgowshire   married  margaret casey from  newton  glasgow  date of marriage 23 june 1872 at crofthead lanarkshire scotland her father was william casey and mother was Mary they went to new zealand in 1874 and lived in westport waimangarua  there they had children william peter margaret james  and isabella i am trying to trace my gg grand fathers family  he lived in linlithgowshire  . how can i find his marriage certificate i been lookin g on many sights but no luck i got the place and date but no luck of recording  can someone please advise me what to do

You say you have tried 'many sights'. There is only one reliable site for looking for this sort of information. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Having said that, there is no listing of such a marriage in the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk so there is obviously something odd about this marriage.

Various possibilities spring to mind

- Did they just invent a date and place of marriage for the NZ birth records?
- Did they marry by declaration before witnesses, but not get round to having the marriage registered?
- Did they change their names on emigration, for some reason?

The place of (the alleged) marriage doesn't really help, because there isn't a parish or registration district of Crofthead. As a place name, Crofthead is very common. A quick check on http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/ tells me that Crofthead crops up in 10 of the Name Books for Lanarkshire alone, and there are many more references in other counties.

SP has 139 marriages of a William to a Margaret in Lanarkshire in 1872. Using the IGI at FamilySearch, none of these marriages were on 23 June, so that method doesn't work.

First of all, have you got either or both of them in the censuses before they emigrated? And did they have a child in Scotland before they emigrated?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 June 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
thank you i saw what i think is both of the on the censuses 1861 and 1871 but just gives name and age not real address just area

You say you have tried 'many sights'. There is only one reliable site for looking for this sort of information. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Having said that, there is no listing of such a marriage in the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk so there is obviously something odd about this marriage.

Various possibilities spring to mind

- Did they just invent a date and place of marriage for the NZ birth records?
- Did they marry by declaration before witnesses, but not get round to having the marriage registered?
- Did they change their names on emigration, for some reason?

The place of (the alleged) marriage doesn't really help, because there isn't a parish or registration district of Crofthead. As a place name, Crofthead is very common. A quick check on http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/ tells me that Crofthead crops up in 10 of the Name Books for Lanarkshire alone, and there are many more references in other counties.

SP has 139 marriages of a William to a Margaret in Lanarkshire in 1872. Using the IGI at FamilySearch, none of these marriages were on 23 June, so that method doesn't work.

First of all, have you got either or both of them in the censuses before they emigrated? And did they have a child in Scotland before they emigrated?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
thank you i saw what i think is both of the on the censuses 1861 and 1871 but just gives name and age not real address just area
Did you look at the original on Scotland's People? Not all the available transcriptions give all the information that is in the original.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Did you look at the original on Scotland's People? Not all the available transcriptions give all the information that is in the original.
hi again  do i find out the address of the person in the censuses can i order it the full thing like who else was at the address like the mother father my ggg parents on that censuses or is that pushing it too far 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 June 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can you post what you have found so far please as a reference?

All names on your transcriptions will be the people in the household.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
one censuse file number is 1851  1042511 for william and file number 103847 1861 for margaret its dosent give other people just them they wore children then hope that is a help
Can you post what you have found so far please as a reference?

All names on your transcriptions will be the people in the household.

Annie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 June 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
hi again  do i find out the address of the person in the censuses can i order it the full thing like who else was at the address like the mother father my ggg parents on that censuses or is that pushing it too far
No, it is not pushing it too far.

But so far you have been using indexes or transcriptions which do not contain all the information. They are fine to use as finding aids but you must look at the originals of the censuses at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. That should tell you the address, who else was in the household and how they were related to one another.

You don't need to 'order' anything. You can view each original census online for less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

BTW forget about the numbers you quoted. They are reference numbers created by whatever site you looked at to get the index entries and they are no use for looking up the originals. What you need to know to find them is where they were in those censuses; normally an index tells you that.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
BTW forget about the numbers you quoted. They are reference numbers created by whatever site you looked at to get the index entries and they are no use for looking up the originals.

Thanks Forfarian,

I did ask "Can you post what you have found so far please as a reference?" which was asking for the info. not reference numbers.

A link would have been an idea as those numbers don't tell us a thing as you've more or less stated.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"