Author Topic: Hendersons of Linlithgowshire  (Read 30854 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons of Linlithgowshire
« Reply #216 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Great news about your relative joining RootsChat, what a boost that is. As well as using the PM system, keep posting some of the information you receive from Erin, so we can tell if we were correct.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Monday 17 July 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
yes tom it was good after 45 year gap in contact  with erin and beverly  alot to talk about we seen to have same problem william went missing when went to sydney with family in about 1892 but his son william jnr and his mother and brothets sisters came back to nz before 1901 /2  but his father my great grand dad gone shame but i hope to find more links to lines ect when i get my y111dna back hope its worth while cause as i said before if there is any good pointers to the branch ill take my children there next year to the tatoo and grand tour of scotland  might stop off at harrypotter set and dr who set as well childhood dream thanks tom let you know how it goes thanks to all for your help again

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
william jr was back in new zealand  by 1905  married 1905 to ellen mc cormack  divorced 8 march 1929

Offline Dumbarton17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello to Peter,
I am a great-grandson of William snr and Margaret Henderson.
My grandmother was Isabella Henderson who was born on Denniston Hill, Waimangaroa, NZ
in 1883.
I am searching for William snr history also and have recently been to Scotland searching the nooks and crannies for information.
I can offer the following if it is of help:
His age when arriving on the Strahnaver in 1874 was listed as 24 on the manifest (1850)
His age listed on the copy of the original Birth cert of isabella is 37years (1846)
His birthplace is listed as Boness in Linlithgowshire.
The railway at Boness was well developed in 1874 and so he likely got the train to London to embark.
He was an assisted immigrant to NZ and was accompanied by Margaret (20) john Henderson-single (20) Isabella (11) and John (son-1)
Most of the family moved to NSW in October 1891.
There is evidence that they were in Hartley/ Lithgow,NSW in 1897
there is evidence that family members were in Waihi, NZ in 1905 Margaret married again in 1916
Margaret died in Auckland NZ in 1936 having outlived her second husband.
 I searched long and hard in Scotland and so far I have not got a birth cert or a marriage cert for either William snr or Margaret; but the Scottish breakfasts make the trip worth while anyway!
I expect I will find him somewhere in Australia on my next trip.
All the best with your impending trip to Scotland whatever the outcome.

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
dumbarton  can you please send me pm  when i try send you one it tells me your message box full

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
kiwican, you won't be able to exchange PMs with Dumbarton17 until he has posted 2 more messages on the forum.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
ok thanks ill waite and see

Offline Dumbarton17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again Peter,
Further to my last dispatch:
The Strathnaver left London in 1874 bound for NZ. William and Margaret were on board when it arrived in Wellington NZ, and they were listed as a family and John snr was transfered to single mans quarters on the ship.
The ship was full of English miners as well and so William may have been working away from Scotland when they married and John jnr was born.
The first child born in NZ was Mary who was born at the Aorere goldfields in Collingwood, Golden Bay in 1875.
It is interesting to note that Margarets death certificate lists her mothers name as Mary.
His first son was named John.
We might suppose that this hints that the traditional Scottish naming system may be at work and William snrs father would be named John.
Another interesting thing is that William jnr (his son) lists his fathers occupation as carpenter on his marriage certificate.presumably a change in career as he got older?
By my records they had nine children in NZ jncl John.
cheers

Offline Dumbarton17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Friday 21 July 17 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again Peter,
Your pm's are coming through to me but my replies appear to be not returning.
So some info on my trip:
Scotlands People first day: Wellingtons statue outside seemed to be waving my wife and myself away.
So it was, as we found a negative and discouraging attendant at the front desk. Despite travelling from the other side of the world, we left the first encounter without getting to see any records, very disillusioned and wondering about the point of SP.
However the next day= new people and it was like a breath of fresh air and we had a great day researching both wife ancestors and Hendersons. Staff were very helpful and pleasant. We used the Onamastic child naming system to see if we could make a breakthrough but not enough info.
Another group we met along the way was Aberdeen and North-east Scotland Family History Society; a great group of skilled, experienced and enthusiastic researchers.
We also checked Callendar House, Falkirk, near Bo'ness where an archive is kept of church records such as Banns of Marriage, assistance to the poor etc. No info found of relevance though.
We also investigated the Glasgow City archives in pursuit of some record of William and Margaret's Marriage. They also rechecked our investigations on Scotlands People with no success.
The mystery of their marriage still remains although we solved another which involved a severe misspelling on the old records of a name belonging to my Wife's ancestor.
We also had a tour of the National Mining Museum, in Newtongrange Midlothian. I would thoroughly recommend it and your children would love it. They solved the mystery of why my Grandad (also a Miner) dunked his bread and jam in his tea!
Cheers