Author Topic: Hendersons of Linlithgowshire  (Read 30750 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hendersons from Bo'ness
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
Yes it's early 'a.m' here  ;)

I guess it all depends on what hours work/days off/holidays etc. involves as not everyone is in a 9 to 5 job  ;D

You will not be disappointed with a trip to Scotland as it's a beautiful country!

Hopefully with the help of others & with more research on Census' & Valuation Rolls you may find quite a few different places where your ancestors lived?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 02:30 BST (UK) »
HENDERSON JOHN 1873
664/ 32 Carriden

HENDERSON JOHN 1874
663/ 228 Bo'Ness

HENDERSON JOHN 1874
663/ 190 Bo'Ness

Please discard the above as it looks like they have different parents names (familysearch.org)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline kiwican

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
thanks again i hope by some miracle the wedding papers located to show his parents name and that the names you gave could match up to each other i better finish off the movie merlin

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons of Linlithgowshire
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter and all,

Asked Moderator to change name of search to "Hendersons of Linlithgowshire" as the Bo'ness came from the person who initially made the post. So now moved to a separate post of it's own.

Tom Buchanan

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

I have spent quite some time trying to locate a John Henderson born 1872/1873 but there's too many which conflict with all the place names mentioned although there are many possibles (far too many) in various areas ::)

With the above & based on the fact we can't find a/the marriage for William & Margaret it may be quite possible that John was the illegitimate son of Margaret who may have taken on William's surname when they immigrated & John brought up with the surname Henderson?

Is it possible for you to find any documentation for John in NZ?
Have you confirmed by any means that there was a son named John of similar year of birth?
Have you searched for a marriage or death for him?
Have you found any info. at all on any other siblings which may provide his name such as a witness on a marriage, registering a death, mentioned in obituaries etc?
Do you have any info. at all on the siblings of your ancestor?
Do you know where/when all married, died & were buried?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Pete,

Can you confirm the names/dates of the missing children from this list please?

William Henderson,    b 26 Feb 1877 Warmongers. SI. (GGF)
Margaret Henderson, b 07 Sep 1879
Peter Henderson        b 28 Mar 1881
Isabella Henderson,   b 25 Dec 1883
James Henderson,     b 29 Jun 1890

Forfarian & Tom seem to have found the likely family of William.

Looking at the above it doesn't look as though they used the conventional naming pattern (I have the same) but it would be interesting to know the 'missing' names?

John (if he was 'their' son) was named after neither g/father as William's father was James & Margaret's father was William.

I think more is needed to find out if John was their/her son from records in NZ?

Annie

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I suspect that William Henderson aged 24 and John Henderson aged 20 are brothers, and I have managed to get 2 of them on SP website.

William Henderson parents James Henderson/Agnes Marshal 25 Jun 1850 Kilsyth, Stirlingshire.
John Henderson parents James Henderson/Agnes Marshal 26 Mar 1854 Kilsyth, Stirlingshire.

Tom Buchanan

There are also Barbara Smith Henderson, baptised 24 December 1851, and an unnamed child born 9 February 1856.

1851 Census, Birngreen Schoolhouse, Kilsyth
James Henderson, 41, parochial schoolmaster, born Airdrie; wife Agnes, 26, born Linlithgow; son William, 11 months, born Kilsyth, and a servant lass. No mention of Bo'ness anywhere.

I have been looking into this family trying to prove what I think is fact, i.e. that William 24 and John 20 are brothers. I have found a DC for their mother Agnes Marshall, parents were John Marshall ( Landed Proprietor)and Barbara Smith. She died at Kilsyth Schoolhouse, aged 311/2 and left a young family, William 5, Barbara 4 and John 2.

Still finding difficulty pinning down William in census of 1871, will try that next, hopefully lead to a marriage certificate.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

In 1861 William Henderson is a 10yo scholar at his father's school in Kilsyth, James Henderson his father was also the Registrar of Births, etc. His brother, John was 7yo scholar. They had a 1yo step-sister Janet, whose mother was Bethia Carrick Kennedy, married in 1860.

Tom

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
I am unsure about this family in Kilsyth. First of all, the children were born in Stirlingshire, not Linlithgowshire (West Lothian) and James' occupation of schoolmaster and registrar doesn't sit comfortably with being a coal miner.

James H and Bethia Kennedy also had a daughter Helen Mitchell Henderson, born 19 March 1864 in Kilsyth. Bethia and Janet are in Kilsyth in 1871, but James is not. I think he must be the one who died in 1866 in Kilsyth. Noting that he had a daughter Helen Mitchell and that he was born in Airdrie, he has to be the son of William Henderson and Helen Mitchell, baptised 10 September 1809 in New Monkland. But I have yet to be convinced that his son William is your William Henderson.

I looked for Agnes Marshall, mother Barbara Smith, and I found Agnes, daughter of John Marshall and Barbara Smith, baptised in Kilysth on 25 December 1824. That taillies exactly with the wife of James Henderson, who was 26 in 1851, apart from her birthplace which was transcribed as West Lothian, Linlithgow. Is that some sort of error, or was she born in Linlithgow but taken back to the family parish for baptism?

I had a look for an illegitimate John Casey in 1870/1874, mother Margaret, but didn't find a likely candidate that way.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.