Author Topic: James Taylor. Born about 1803, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset  (Read 1355 times)

Offline KIKIDEE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Taylor. Born about 1803, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset
« on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hello , I wonder if anyone would be able to help me in my search for my ancestors from Poole, Dorset?
I can trace back to JAMES TAYLOR born abt 1803, from Parkstone, Poole, Dorset. He died in April 1890 in Bloxwich, Staffordshire.

I know he married a SARAH BENTLEY on 15/08/1824 at St Thomas The Apostle Roman Catholic Church, Bloxwich and they married again on the following day 16/08/1824 at St Matthew's Anglican Church, Walsall.
I assume one of the couple were Catholic -why else would they have two wedding ceremonies?????

The 1841 census shows James Taylor as being 35 and his trade is an awl blade maker. His wife Sarah is also listed as 35 years old. They have 5 children at this point. Residing in Short Heath, Bloxwich.

The 1851 census gives James Taylor as 48 years old and being from Parkstone, Dorset.

The 1861 census shows James Taylor as being 58 yrs old and a Clock Cleaner by trade. Again he is from Parkstone, Dorset. Sarah is from Bloxwich and aged 53.

The 1871 census shows James Taylor being 68 yrs and again from Parkstone, Dorset.

1881 census shows James Taylor either 78 or 73?? and from Pool, Dorsetshire.

I know they had ten children.

From family sources I believe our ancestors originally came over from France during the French revolution. Apparently she was a Lady (came with own trunk) and was taken in by a Monastry in Dorset.   I don't know where to continue the search.  How to trace James Taylor back any further or even where to start looking for the French lady who was taken in by a monastery.

I have looked on ancestry and there is a James Taylor baptised 1803 but it is not in Parkstone but is instead Melcombe Regis.  Are these totally different people?

I can also see a baptism for a James Taylor in Poole dated 1802, when the child was 1 years of age. His parents are John and Jane... but I can't trace these back any further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One other note - it was mentioned that the Captain of the ship bringing over the French lady was a Captain Cochran (I am not sure of the spelling or even if this is correct)

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: James Taylor. Born about 1803, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.   :)

Do you know his father's name and occupation?  It should be on the marriage certificate. You can use those details to look for a baptism.

Useful, free site for Dorset records:

http://www.opcdorset.org/index.htm
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KIKIDEE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply. I haven't been able to obtain a copy of his marriage certificate. I will check out the website you just gave me.
Kind regards

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Oops.......forgot to check date....too early for a certificate but it might be mentioned in the parish register.

Do the names of their children give any clues?  Any of his family with them on census records?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandy.l

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 21 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

I am also on the hunt for James Taylor's parents, John and Jane. James Taylor was my 3rd great grandfather.

The family story sounds fascinating! My Dad wasn't raised with his family so I've never heard this before, no family stories to unpick unfortunately!

I wondered if you had uncovered any more about the family since your original post?

It would be great to hear from you either way

Sandra Lightfoot
York, England

Offline oldhippy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm answering this because my surname is Taylor and researching my name takes me to places such as Swanage, Steeple, Church Knowle and little places around that area, I have some that tried to seek their fortune by moving further a field such as Londen. I have been stuck with this brick wall for years, he is Thomas Taylor born 1743 Church Knowle married Mary Griffin  who is from Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset. So you see we are not that far from Pool, there might be a connection. You are most welcome to look at what I have on Ancestry my tree comes under the name Hambling & Taylor Family Tree or this place which needs tidying up  https://hamblingfamily.tribalpages.com/
Please scan photos at 300dpi or higher. Thank you.

Hambling. Mexter. Taylor. Bailey. Bolton. Boyse. Davenport. Fisher. Godfrey. Goff. Hawkins. Holmes. Jarvis. Joseph. Leek. Morgan. Osborne. Ross. Sharp. Webber.

Websites
http://hamblingfamily.tribalpages.com

http://taylorfamily1.tribalpages.com