Author Topic: William Thomas Landricombe - born Plymouth, abt 1857  (Read 5185 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas Landricombe - born Plymouth, abt 1857
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
It's possible that William Kent is not the father of William Thomas given that he has Frederick with him in 1861. In the case of a married woman, it was assumed her husband was the father of a child when registering a birth even if he wasn't the biological father.

By the way, I spotted Frederick later - he married Caroline Amelia Deahl 8 Aug 1878 at St Paul's Devonport and was in the navy. The couple are in Chesil in Dorset in later census entries. Another twig for your tree.

:D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Dave Landy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your help, I will look at Frederick a bit more.

Can I just ask how you are accessing the census and marriage data? The sites I am using still don't have the 1871 information, and using the folio data you gave gives no results.

Also, being able to find out which church a couple was married at without a physical search would have helped me enormously in the past, How have you (and others) been able to find that information? The data I have on marriages came from printed sheets someone in Plymouth sent my father, which are obviously limited. I took photos of them while visiting him, as he didn't want to let them out of his sight!

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
If its any help on F M P mistranscribed. If using F M P click top right corner for image.

1871 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5TS-VNX

Try looking for the nurse child if still unable to locate

Commercial sites hold possible data/info on BMD also freereg https://www.freereg.org.uk/

I find https://familysearch.org/search a good source for spelling variation or mistranscription.

Also https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl can be searched phonetically, but only cert would have full info.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has some Devon baptisms, marriages & burials which have images of the actual parish register attached. So I've transcribed from the register image. Plymouth St Charles seem to be on there but just an index for East Stonehouse.

If you're using Ancestry, go for 1871 for England and then you can put in ref numbers.

I found it by searching for David born 1868 with Jane in the household in Plymouth.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify - Priscilla Western in 1851 who is shown as 2m on Ancestry transcription, looking at the original page it appears it should read 2 (yrs) 6m which ties in with her year of birth and age on later census.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
It's possible that William Kent is not the father of William Thomas given that he has Frederick with him in 1861. In the case of a married woman, it was assumed her husband was the father of a child when registering a birth even if he wasn't the biological father.

By the way, I spotted Frederick later - he married Caroline Amelia Deahl 8 Aug 1878 at St Paul's Devonport and was in the navy. The couple are in Chesil in Dorset in later census entries. Another twig for your tree.

:D

Would be interesting to see what is actually on William Thomas Kent's birth certificate - does it actually name William Kent as father or has name of father been left blank?   His birth would be registered as Kent as that was his mothers surname at the time but doesn't necessarily follow that her husband would be named as father.   I've seen birth certificates where although the mother is still legally married to someone who is not the said child's father the father's name has been left blank.

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave Landy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
If you're using Ancestry, go for 1871 for England and then you can put in ref numbers.

I found it by searching for David born 1868 with Jane in the household in Plymouth.

;)
Thank you for your detective work, I have now found them on Ancestry, under Sandaworke!
William is listed as son, not step-son, but that isn't conclusive.
I have ordered his birth certificate, just to see if it sheds any light on this.

Offline Dave Landy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
One further request - in any of your searching have any of you come across the marriage entry for William Landricome and Jane Kent (Western)?

Daughter Elizabeth in 1862 is a Landricome - but I guess that doesn't mean the two were married, even then? Jane clearly calls herself Landricome - the 1871 and 1181 census entries and her death registration in 1907 prove that - but I can't find with my limited skills an entry for their marriage.

On James David's birth certificate in 1865 she is listed as Jane Landricombe, late Kent, formerly Western, suggesting there was a marriage at some point. There doesn't seem to be a divorce listed - are we absolutely sure William Kent was still alive? There are some deaths registered around this time, but no ages.

I have ordered William Thomas' birth certificate which will give me his parents' names for definite, but that will take a week to get here, and I can't let go of this thread of history at the moment. :)

Thanks!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
the marriage cert for Jane Western & William Kent shows his father as a fisherman called James. There is a William Kent of the right age living with his father James & mother Ellen on the 1861 census as quoted in an earlier reply with son Frederick who was registered as Western.
1871 William is still with his parents, enumerated as unmarried RG10/2112 folio 92 pg 9 and a different grandson called Frederick, not the one born Western as he's on board a ship in Bombay (from memory).

1891 William is with this father James who is a widower and William also enumerated as widower RG12/1737 folio 72 pg 10.

Possible death William Kent aged 68 march qtr 1902 Plymouth vol 5b pg 188

If you go onto the GRO website, and use the new search feature, you can check ages at death from the period before it is shown on FreeBmd and other transcriptions.

And no, I haven't seen a marriage for Jane and William.

::)