Author Topic: Helensburgh Orphanages/Care Homes c1918  (Read 3414 times)

Offline dstocks75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helensburgh Orphanages/Care Homes c1918
« on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, was hoping someone could please give me any information on any care homes or orphanages in the Helensburgh area around 1918.  My grandfather was orphaned aged 10 in 1918 and was relocated to Dumfries and Galloway. Ive found he had a sister, then aged 11, that none of my relatives knew about.  I dont know exactly how my grandfather was rehomed, Ive tried Quarriers but they dont have any records of the family.  Any help would be very greatly received.  Many thanks, Derek Stocks.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helensburgh Orphanages/Care Homes c1918
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek have you tried Mitchell Library for poor relief records ...There was a home in Cardross but not sure if it was open in 1918 ..Also a home in Shandon again not sure of the year ..Is that the family in Maitland Street Helensburgh ?
Rosie

Offline dstocks75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie, yes it's the same family, I haven't managed to get up to Helensburgh yet to have a look for the grave. I didn't know where would be the best place to try. I know I had other relations that had been housed by Quarriers so tried them first but when they drew a blank I didn't know where to try next. I'm really going to have to come up for a day or two to try and do some searching, unless there's information I could find online? Thanks once again, Derek.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 07:33 BST (UK) »
Maybe some of the family were boarded out in Helensburgh .My husbands Grannie's family were boarded out to a family in Helensburgh that was about 1912 ..We got that information from poor relief records at the Mitchell Library .....Maybe Parish Records for Helensburgh ..Did wonder if you managed to find the grave

Rosie

Offline dstocks75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again for your assistance Rosie, I'm definately going to have to come up and do some searching. The Mitchell Library certainly sounds like a place I should pay a visit to as well. I will certainly keep in touch re. the grave. I will make a point of coming up some weekend in the next week or two. Kind regards, Derek.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Derek ...Think that would be the best thing to visit the Mitchell Library and see if they can help ...

Rosie  :)

Offline dstocks75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
Aye thanks Rosie, think I'm going to have to take a couple of days holiday!