Author Topic: James Mellon (Black Watch) d 1915 France (Further info. please if possible)?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Mellon (Black Watch) d 1915 France (Further info. please if possible)?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Dundee Peoples Journal 6 March 1915
A list of men who attended St Josephs R C Church, Dundee and who were called up to serve include
Mellon James 20 Cherryfield 1st B.W.
Mellon Henry  "        "           S.R

Cathy

I have had a look at the VRs (1915) on SP & there's a Miss Ann Mellon at Cherryfield Lane but no number.

At number 20 is;

ADAMS OR BLACK BARBARA MRS WIDOW
Proprietor
DWELLING HOUSE 20 CHERRYFIELD LANE

(Possibly still there 1920 as Mrs Barbara Duff....remarried)?

I wonder if the '20' in the Journal is their ages?

Annie

Added 1920 Annie Mellon is at 8 Cherryfield Lane the original address in my query so '20' could well be ages i.e. I need to do some more work on SP.

Edit To add the only deaths from 'Minor Records/Service Returns' for 1915 with near spelling out of many variants which makes it difficult are;

MELLON JAMES 27
123/AF 327
Service Returns

MALLON JAMES 25
114/AF 6
Service Returns

MULLIN JAMES 25
118/AF 439
Service Returns

Hmm, age is a problem now  ::)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Mellon (Black Watch) d 1915 France (Further info. please if possible)?
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Piece in paper dated 19 Jan 1916 has a photograph of James Mellon 8th Black watch
He was aged 27, a millworker at Edward Street Mill
Sister living at 8 Cherryfield Lane, Dundee.
Brother Lance Corporal Henry Mellon Scottish Rifles who was wounded in 1914.

Cathy

Thanks Cathy,

Going through things bit by bit when I can.

I downloaded the James Mellon aged 27 which gives the exact date of death in my original post but there are no extra details on parentage  :(

It also states "Men of the 8th Battalion Royal Highlanders" & "Place of death France or Belgium" but it's the same person.

Need to check the 1911 now.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim & Cathy,

I've been through the procedure but can't find a connection sadly  :(

As it turned out, I have the birth record for that James in my 'Mellon Strays' Folder from earlier research  ::)

It was when I downloaded Annie Mellon's birth, I recalled the names of the parents.

Annie was born in Dundee but brother James was born Bridgeton, Glasgow.

Father was a John so I downloaded the marriage & his father was a James.

My 2 x g g/father James Mellon would have been roughly the same age as James (the g/father of James in my query).

There is every possibility they were related, possibly cousins but the chances of me finding that connection are almost zero as I haven't been able to find the birth or death of my g g/father James.

All they names, Ann, Catherine, Henry, James, John & Mary (Mellon) are in my tree but they may have just been common names at the time?

I will probably have a look at the census for John, father of James, John, Henry & Annie to find out where he was born as now I'm very curious  ???

Annie