Author Topic: Arthur Martin in York by 1840 - Land Grant Lot 4, Concession 4 East of Yonge St.  (Read 2433 times)

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am attempting to find out any information on Arthur Martin. I know he was born in Ireland as was his wife, Ann (no maiden name known), who also was born in Ireland in 1797. In Patricia Hart's book "Pioneering in North York" she has Arthur listed on Lot 4, Concession 4 east of Yonge Street settling there in 1840. The 1861 Census of Canada has Ann Martin living with her son, Samuel Martin, and his family on the same lot and concession. All of my attempts to find information on Arthur or his wife, Ann, have failed. Ann Martin does not appear in the 1871 census with her son, Samuel, so I am thinking she died sometime between 1861 and 1871, but I have been unable to find a copy of her death certificate or a place of burial. Are there any records of a land grant or patent given to Arthur Martin prior to 1840? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Martin in York by 1840 - Land Grant Lot 4, Concession 4 East of Yonge St.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Civil registration only began in Ontario in 1869, so unfortunately, you won't find a death record. There is a record for a land petition by an Arthur Martin in York County in 1825:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/land/land-petitions-upper-canada-1763-1865/Pages/List.aspx?Surname=martin&GivenName=arthur&

Click on the "How to Obtain Copies" on the page above and make note of the info before going to look for the online documents.

Starts on Page 743 of Microfilm #C-2207 -- Arthur Martin, of the Township of York, yeoman, aged 22, native of County Down, Ireland, came to Quebec in July 1825, asking for 100 acres of land. Dated 5 December 1825.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Martin in York by 1840 - Land Grant Lot 4, Concession 4 East of Yonge St.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Eileen - Thank you so very much for the information. It is extremely helpful. I am assuming that I would not be able to view the actual page on microfilm on line?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 June 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Yes you can ... follow the "How to Obtain Copies" link with the microfilm info noted from the search page and you can browse through the actual microfilm til you come to page 743.  If you still have a problem, I'll see if I can provide an actual link.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen. I will try it. Does the microfilm list the lot number and concession number?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
No, it does not ... I find Arthur in Scarborough in the 1830s so he may have gone there first before landing in North York in 1840.

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eileen-I was able to get a look at the microfilm and answered my own question. Where were you able to find Arthur in Scarborough in the 1830s?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 June 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
I hope I'm not leading you down the garden path, but the two properties (York North & Scarborough) are really not that far apart.  Here's a link to the 1878 map of York North was Samuel Martin noted on Lot 4, Concession 4 (east of Yonge):

https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/Images/Maps/TownshipMaps/yor-m-york-n.jpg

And the same time with Arthur noted as still being on Lot 34, Concession 4 (Scarborough):

https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/Images/Maps/TownshipMaps/yor-m-scarboro.jpg

In one of the references I sent before, it gives Arthur's age as 50 in 1858, so born about 1808 which jives with the age of 22 when he first petitions for land. Is it possible that Arthur is actually a son of your Arthur? It cannot be a coincidence that an individual with a similar name is living so relatively close  to your known Arthur (later Samuel).