Author Topic: Germany/Denmark: where is "Harmoesdance, Germany"?  (Read 794 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Germany/Denmark: where is "Harmoesdance, Germany"?
« on: Wednesday 14 June 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking at a death certificate of a Peter Niclaus Paulsen who died aged 68 in 1902 in Muinganden, Queensland, Australia. His parents are recorded as Hans Paulsen & Elsiebea Dorothea Von Doken.

Peter and his wife arrived in Queensland in 1865 with his "former town" noted as "Barlt, Holstein" on an immigration record, which place I can find and which I understand is now in Germany but was ruled by the King of Denmark prior to the 1860s.

Peter's wife's death certificate says that she and Peter married in "Baldt, Holstein". However, Peter's death certificate says he was born in "Harmoesdance, Germany".

My question is, where is "Harmoesdance"?

I also have a question about the "Von Doken" maiden surname of Peter's mother - is this a German name or can it be Danish too? Am I right to say that it signifies aristocracy (with the "von")? (I understand that it does in Germany.)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Germany/Denmark: where is "Harmoesdance, Germany"?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think I've found Peter with his parents and siblings in the 1835 Danish census (see www.akvz.de)

Hans Paulsen (aged 40),  his wife Els. Dor. von Dohring (aged 33), Pet. Nicol. Paulsen (aged 1) and two older siblings were recorded in Harmswöhrden, which is about 8 miles north of Barlt.

You can view the original here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9GY-SPTQ?i=169&cat=541478. Look for nos. 346 to 350 on the left-hand page.

Justin

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany/Denmark: where is "Harmoesdance, Germany"?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
That does seem like them indeed - thank you very much, much appreciated!