Author Topic: Alexander McLachlan b. 1808 and Margaret Grant b. 1805  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Waipu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McLachlan b. 1808 and Margaret Grant b. 1805
« on: Wednesday 14 June 17 06:31 BST (UK) »
Alex and Margaret were my 3 x great grandparents. Am interested in finding out the names of their children, in particular their daughter Elizabeth also known as Betsy. Am pretty sure she was the mother of Isabella the mother of my grandmother. Thank you for any help.
Geddes  Gray  Donaldson  Grant  Olsson   Weir  Dodd   Jones   Butler

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McLachlan b. 1808 and Margaret Grant b. 1805
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
The info you require on Alexander/Margarets Children is easy to find on Familysearch.Org.
(see below)

Alexr McLACHLAN married Margt GRANT, 7 February 1830, Knockando, Moray, Scotland

Children were;
ELIZABETH, Birth 10 June 1830****
JANE, Birth 1 March 1833 (Jean on Census)
MARGARET, Birth 25 Feb 1835
ISABELLA, Birth 2 Dec 1839
ALEXANDER, Birth Feb 1842
WILLIAM, Birth 15 March 1849

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
1861 Census in Knocknado we have;
Alexr Mclachlan, 53, Ag Lab, born Kingussie, Inverness
Margt Mclachlan, 56, born Inveravon, Banff
ELIZA Mclachlan, 30, Daug, born Knockando, Moray
Wm Mclachlan, 12, Son, born Knockando
John Smith, 6
Peter Davidson, 3
Alexr Innes, 3
Margt Innes, 1   
All the other Children are Grandchildren

1851 Census
Alexander Mc Lachlan, 43
Margaret Mc Lachlan, 46
Jean Mc Lachlan,18, Daug
William Mc Lachlan, 2, Son
Jessie Grant, 7, Boarder
Peter Grant, 4, Boarder
Helen Black, 78, Mother in Law, born Inveravon, banffsh

As you likely know Elizabeth is Betty and not at Home in 1841/1851 Census.

Margt GRANT or BLACK christened 16 Dec 1804, Inveravon, Banffshire
Parenst Wm GRANT and Helen BLACK**

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
May I ask when/where Isabella was born?
Was she illeg. or did the Elizabeth you are following Marry?

Why I ask is the in 1891 Census there is a Elizabeth McLachlan born c 1831 Knockands, Moray, a Servant.
1881 she is Elizh McLachlan born c 1831 Lossiemouth, Moray, Servant.

Offline Waipu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all that information, Trish. I don't know too much about Elizabeth or Betsy, as she was called. I believe her sister Margaret was born in Knockehillock which may be close to Knockando. Betsy may have married a Robert Ross but according to my now deceased mother, Isabella, Betsy's daughter, was known as Isabella McLachlan or ROBB...not Ross.  Do think she was illegitimate.

Strange to see that Margaret, Elizabeth's mother, was a Grant or Black. I have Grants from Banffshire on my father's side.
Geddes  Gray  Donaldson  Grant  Olsson   Weir  Dodd   Jones   Butler

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
The reason I asked for dob/pob for Isabella is to track her on Census.

Unless you have her details, eg Birth Cert from Scotlandspeople, I cant see how you have got back to Alex/Marg as Elizabeth/Betsys Parents as your 3x Grandparents.

Trish :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 June 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
I take it that this is Isabella McLachlan, born 30 November 1863 in Knockando? Have you got her birth certificate? If not you can view it at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. At what address does it say Isabella was born?

The FreeCEN transcription lists at Croft Stewart, Knockando in 1871 Alexander McLachlan, 63, mole catcher, born Kingussie; wife Margaret, 66, born Inveravon; daughter Margaret, 35; grandson Peter Davidson, 13; granddaughter Isabella McLachlan, 7; granddaughter Jane Grant, 3; all born Knockando.

In 1861 at Knockdow Alexr McLachlan, 53, ag lab, born Kingussie; wife Margaret, 56, born Inveravon; daughter Eliza, 30; son Wm, 12; grandsons John Smith, 6; Peter Davidson, 3 and Alexr Innes, 3; granddaughter Margt Innes, 1; all born Knockando.

In 1851 at Croft Stewart Alexander McLachlan, 43, labourer, born Kingussie; wife Margaret, 46, born Inveraven; daughter Jean, 10 and son William, 2, both born Knockando; boarders Jessie Grant, 7 and Peter Grant, 4, both born Grange; mother-in-law Helen Black, unmarried, 78, born Inveraven.

In 1841 at Croftskavart are Margaret McLachlan, 36; Jean, 8; Margaret, 6 and Bell, 2, all born Morayshire. Betty McLachlan, 11, is a female servant at Robertstown in Knockando.

You can look at the full transcriptions of all these at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and the originals at Scotland's People.

So assuming that their ages are accurate, Alexander was born in 1807 or 1808 in Kingussie, Inverness-shire and Margaret was born in 1804 or 1805 in Inveravon, Banffshire, the illegitimate daughter of Margaret Black.

From the deaths index at Scotland's People, Alexander McLachlan, aged 81, died in Knockando in 1889. Margaret Black or Grant or McLachlan died in Knockando in 1892 aged 87.

You should go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits, and use them to view the death certificates. They should tell you the full names of both parents of both Alexander and Margaret.

What is your evidence for Margaret McLachlan being born at Knockehillock? There are six children of Alexander McLachlan and Margaret Grant, all baptised in Knockando. You can view all the baptisms at Scotland's People. One or more of them may tell you where the parents' residence was at the time.

You can see where Croftstewart is on the First Edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map - see http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4640&lon=-3.3122&layers=5&b=1

Betsy may have married a Robert Ross but according to my now deceased mother, Isabella, Betsy's daughter, was known as Isabella McLachlan or ROBB...not Ross.
So maybe her father's name was Robb. Have you got Isabella's marriage certificate? Does it say who her father was?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.