Author Topic: Looking for information on "Faildhead, parish of Mauchline" (circa 1817)  (Read 2352 times)

Offline kwmoore76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information on "Faildhead, parish of Mauchline" (circa 1817)
« on: Wednesday 14 June 17 06:44 BST (UK) »
My great-great grandfather was apprenticed as a mason in Kilmarnock 1817-1820. The indenture document (as well as some family trees that have been handed down) reference Faildhead, parish of Mauchline as his home. The archivist at the Ayrshire Archives was not able to find any information on Faildhead, and someone on Facebook suggested I ask here. (G-g-grandfather was Robert Bowman (1797-1860[?]), and his father was Andrew Bowman.)

Any information gratefully appreciated.
Bowman (Kilmarnock), Wallace (possibly Kilmarnock)
White/Whyte (Paisley), Watson (Paisley)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on "Faildhead, parish of Mauchline" (circa 1817)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :).

A good place to look for old maps is http://maps.nls.uk/os/; can't get into the site at the moment but will look later.

I can find no reference to Fauldhead Ayrshire on the National Records of Scotland site. You may find some information in the Mauchline parish entry of the 2 Statistical Accounts of Scotland, will try to find a link to them  online,

Josey

ADDED: the statistical accounts are free to browse at
http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/home
Ahh I see it is not free any more.... :(

ADDED 2:
Some info here
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ayrshire-os-name-books-1855-1857/ayrshire-volume-51-part-1/65
and
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ayrshire-os-name-books-1855-1857/ayrshire-volume-26/3
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
Good finds Josey.  :)

Does that mean Fauldhead is in Dunlop Parish or Ochiltree parish?

I am itching to try to locate it, but NLS maps have been playing up all day. (I thought it was just me). There is a chance it will be named on a map.

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 15:05 BST (UK) »
Possibly silly question, but does the indenture state that is Mauchline Ayrshire? There appears to be an area near Eaglesham/East Kilbride also called Mauchline and I think there are farms or roads in the area called fieldhead.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Ahh just realised I was looking up FaUldhead not FaIldhead as per OP  :-[
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline kwmoore76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
In response to carolineasb, the indenture does not state Ayrshire, so perhaps I need to consider the location you suggest in Renfrewshire. I went back and looked at the indenture, and it's just not possible to say with any certainty (because of the fold, and because this is framed under glass) if it says Faildhead or Fieldhead. I do know the handwritten family tree does say Faildhead, but I don't know where the writer got that information. Thank you for the suggestions!
Bowman (Kilmarnock), Wallace (possibly Kilmarnock)
White/Whyte (Paisley), Watson (Paisley)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 June 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, there is a Fauldhead listed as a residence at Craigie in Ayrshire on the 1841 and 1851 Census.

I mention this because on looking for your great-great grandfather on Freecen , kwmoore, I found a Robert Bowman on the 1851 Census. He's listed as being 53 years old (born circa 1798 ) and he's a sculptor living in Milton, Glasgow but born Craigie, Ayrshire.  I wondered if this sculptor could be the indentured mason and your g-g grandfather??

Looby :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 June 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
Kwmoore, what does your existing family tree say about Robert's place of birth? Is there any documentation to back this up (eg baptismal entry)? You say that his father is Andrew so I assume a previous researcher may have found record of this? (Unless all of this information came from the indenture).

The reason I ask is that place names are often open to interpretation when spoken and written. Faildhead/Fauldhead/Fieldhead are all very similar especially when written in the crease of a page.  ;) You say that "Faildhead" is his 'home'. Are you simply looking for the location of "Faildhead", or are you looking for Robert's place of birth?

Could you post the actual place name here for others to see how they interpret it?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
I am itching to try to locate it

Well Ruskie,

I am too....for you to locate it & I agree with your request for part of the image to help decipher the name  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"